Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Attacked with acid in Bangkok

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/9/2011 at 16:58 admin

Last night, a friend of mine (and an early Travelfish.org researcher), artist Elizabeth Briel, and her husband were attacked by some lowlife on Asok road in Bangkok.

Acid, or industrial cleaning fluid was thrown on both of them from a skybridge overpass. The attack has damaged her husband's eyes and burned her scalp.

In a remarkably measured blog entry, Elizabeth has posted about the experience here.

Disturbing enough as a one-off, the hospital said this was the third recent attack of this kind they'd seen.

I'm really quite lost for words.

#1 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by SBE on 16/9/2011 at 18:15

Terrible, simply terrible. Thank god he didn't lose his sight.

#2 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,002
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 16/9/2011 at 18:19

That's horrendous. And I was just reading eastwest's post about no one needing to start a 'How safe is Thailand?' thread.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by eastwest on 16/9/2011 at 18:56

That is indeed a terrible story and I wish them all the best. Remarkable well written also but that seems not important now.

It is an ironic coincidence that my last post relates to this yes and I hope that somtam follows my suggestion to include a safety thread as a sticky for each country. Given the number of views on the Cambodian topic I'm sure it's a concern to everyone.

#4 eastwest has been a member since 17/12/2009. Posts: 778

Posted by swag on 17/9/2011 at 07:09

Disgraceful act, I,m sort of lost for words. As has been said very balanced moving response to the incident written by the lady concerned. At home here we have incidences of people throwing rocks from over passes onto fast moving cars with tragic consequences, the sheer madness of that resonates well with this tragic event.

#5 swag has been a member since 28/3/2007. Location: Australia. Posts: 330

Posted by KhowNeow11 on 17/9/2011 at 12:53

Its a shocking and sobering event, though the victim is quite right in writing that this could have happened to anyone, anywhere. This is not to say it wasn't a totally despicable act, because it clearly was, but there is also very little - if anything - the two could have done to avoid it. The couple are experienced, well educated inhabitants of South East Asia, and no safety thread could have protected them in this scenario.
Danger itself is inherent in traveling, and in life in general. That being said, knowledge is power, and the more that people know about how to stay safe in this country or any other, the better able they will be to avoid foreseeable danger.

#6 KhowNeow11 has been a member since 10/9/2011. Posts: 19
 Where has KhowNeow11 been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 18/9/2011 at 00:21

What kind of a low life ******* does something like that? I've seen it back home, where kids throw rocks over an overpass to hit a car... In Darmstadt a lady was killed from this kind of crap. I hope the police are able to apprehend the perpetrators.

#7 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by Tennouji on 18/9/2011 at 11:50

Seemingly random acts of violence are always so shocking. The motivation is unfathomable.

Best wishes on your recovery, Roy.

#8 Tennouji has been a member since 22/9/2007. Location: Japan. Posts: 129

Posted by Captain_Bob on 18/9/2011 at 13:47

I'm staying home with my helmet on the visor down and the motor running...

#9 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,824

Posted by kfchris1 on 20/9/2011 at 23:16

Shocking!! Thank god he didnt loose his site!

#10 kfchris1 has been a member since 6/9/2011. Posts: 14

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.