admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Last night, a friend of mine (and an early Travelfish.org researcher), artist Elizabeth Briel, and her husband were attacked by some lowlife on Asok road in Bangkok.

Acid, or industrial cleaning fluid was thrown on both of them from a skybridge overpass. The attack has damaged her husband's eyes and burned her scalp.

In a remarkably measured blog entry, Elizabeth has posted about the experience here.

Disturbing enough as a one-off, the hospital said this was the third recent attack of this kind they'd seen.

I'm really quite lost for words.

#1 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 16:58

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Terrible, simply terrible. Thank god he didn't lose his sight.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 18:15

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

That's horrendous. And I was just reading eastwest's post about no one needing to start a 'How safe is Thailand?' thread.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 18:19

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

That is indeed a terrible story and I wish them all the best. Remarkable well written also but that seems not important now.

It is an ironic coincidence that my last post relates to this yes and I hope that somtam follows my suggestion to include a safety thread as a sticky for each country. Given the number of views on the Cambodian topic I'm sure it's a concern to everyone.

#4 Posted: 16/9/2011 - 18:56

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Disgraceful act, I,m sort of lost for words. As has been said very balanced moving response to the incident written by the lady concerned. At home here we have incidences of people throwing rocks from over passes onto fast moving cars with tragic consequences, the sheer madness of that resonates well with this tragic event.

#5 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 07:09

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

Its a shocking and sobering event, though the victim is quite right in writing that this could have happened to anyone, anywhere. This is not to say it wasn't a totally despicable act, because it clearly was, but there is also very little - if anything - the two could have done to avoid it. The couple are experienced, well educated inhabitants of South East Asia, and no safety thread could have protected them in this scenario.
    Danger itself is inherent in traveling, and in life in general. That being said, knowledge is power, and the more that people know about how to stay safe in this country or any other, the better able they will be to avoid foreseeable danger.

#6 Posted: 17/9/2011 - 12:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

What kind of a low life ******* does something like that? I've seen it back home, where kids throw rocks over an overpass to hit a car... In Darmstadt a lady was killed from this kind of crap. I hope the police are able to apprehend the perpetrators.

#7 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 00:21

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

Seemingly random acts of violence are always so shocking. The motivation is unfathomable.

Best wishes on your recovery, Roy.

#8 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 11:50

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I'm staying home with my helmet on the visor down and the motor running...

#9 Posted: 18/9/2011 - 13:47

• kfchris1

Joined Travelfish
    6th September, 2011

Shocking!! Thank god he didnt loose his site!

#10 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 23:16

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.