Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southern Islands East or West or Both?

• HannahC

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Hi,
    I am 23 Female and traveling alone in the beginning of January.
    I am only there for 2 1/2 weeks and just trying to roughly plan my itinerary.
    I thought I would fly straight to Koh Samui and go out to Ko Tao for 5 days then to Koh Phangnan for the full moon party on 3rd for 6 nights then I am not sure whether it is worth going to the West coast islands after that and just have one night in Bangkok before I go back home or instead have 2 nights on Koh Samui then head to Bangkok for 2/3 nights before going.
    Is there much more to see on the West Coast or is it just great beaches which you can get on the east?
    Also are there any other islands on the east coast around koh samui that are worth going to other than ko tao and koh phangnan?
    Thank you in advance for any help!
    Hannah :)

#1 Posted: 20/9/2011 - 21:27

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

This all depends where on the Andaman coast you want to go. I think the beaches in Krabi are stunning with amazing views but it will take an entire day to get from one side to the other, which doesnt leave you much time.
    If you cut down the time you spent on Koh Tao & Phangan then it is possible but otherwise not worth the long trip on your limited time.

The other option is to visit places closer to BKK like Ayuthaya and Kanchanaburi and see the cultural side of Thailand.

#2 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 09:34

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

I'd say there are definitely some great things to see in Krabi (Railey, Ton Sai) and the Phi Phi islands, but it is true that getting from the East Islands to the West will require a day's travel, so cutting your time a bit shorter on the East (specifically Koh Phangan) would be necessary to make it worth it.
    My advice, especially for those traveling solo, is to leave itineraries loose; everyone wants to see as much as they can in the amount of time they have, but there's no way of knowing what will happen when you get going, and itineraries can often be a source of stress. Especially when you're alone, you will often meet other travelers that you get along with, and it's better to be flexible and travel a bit with others than sticking to a plan you made having never been to the country.
    Have an idea of what you want to see, and go from there! You will have a great time regardless.

#3 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 12:12

• HannahC

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

Great, thank you for your help. I will try and make it over there. The trouble is on Koh Phangan you have to book for at least 5 nights.
    Do you know if there is an over night train/bus to the east coast?
    Thanks,
    Hannah

#4 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 15:04

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

As I recall, there is no overnight bus, primarily because the portion of the trip that takes place over land actually only takes about 4 hours or so. The kicker is the ferry rides, both of which take about 2 hours, give or take (Koh Pha Ngan to Surat Thani, Krabi to Koh Phi Phi), and don't take place during the night, for obvious reasons.
    I'd forgotten about the 5 day booking thing around FMP, though the case may be that a lone traveler might be able to book a room upon arrival for a few days, though I'm sure you'll pay a premium for it regardless.
    Maybe if you get your fill of island after 10 days or so, you might do well to head up towards BKK and see some of the surrounding things like that previous post suggested, such as Kanchanaburi, which is super chill and beautiful, or Ayuthaya, which is very historic and interesting. There is, after all, more to Thailand than the parties and the beaches! (though both are a blast for sure)

#5 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 15:58

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You do not have to bok for five days on all beaches on Koh Phangan. Just the ones closest to where the FMP takes place. If you look for a places on the NE or NW coast you will find that many places do not require 5 nights minimum stay.
    However, you are travelling at the busiest time of the year so this may be a factor. But have a look at other beaches on the island.

As for travel, the ferry and waiting around for buses is what takes time. If you leave on the 7am boat from KP you should be able to arrive in Krabi at a decent hour. The other oprion is the night boat but that will have you arriving into Surat Thani town at 4am and the first bus won't be until around 7am.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 08:42

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Southern Coast of Cambodia West to East ... By bumbly on 16 Feb 2011 3 4036 21 Feb 2011
East or West - December ... By mark1980 on 14 Jul 2008 1 1771 15 Jul 2008
30 days east to west Indonesia ... By D11xer on 13 Mar 2014 1 533 13 Mar 2014
West or East side of South Thai now ? ... By pittz on 30 Jun 2012 7 2004 9 Jul 2012
East or west coast this time of year? ... By sallymaher on 30 Oct 2007 6 3161 1 Nov 2007
New Ferry / Bus Service to Sth & West from Koh Tao and nr islands. ... By ayesha on 6 Dec 2012 0 1661 6 Dec 2012
Komodo and other islands + Labuanbajo West Flores ... By tezza on 9 Jun 2009 19 12982 25 Apr 2011
Thailand west coast islands - July/August sunshine? ... By VickyWebb on 13 Jul 2009 5 11537 13 Jul 2009