Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Some advice on buying in Thailand

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

I've been reading that air tickets in Bangkok are some of the cheapest in SE Asia. Would it be better for me to book a flight from Bangkok to Phuket while i'm in Bangkok or before I go? Would there be cheap tickets with only 3 or 4 days notice? A flight booked now will cost me around 2000B with Air Asia.

How much would I expect to pay for a cheap MP3 player in BK? Are cheap electronics widely available being so close to China etc? Nothing fancy, the thick of my music is on my iPhone but I want something to play anything I might want to download while i'm out there.

Same question for cameras, something around the 10MP mark?

How much do the fake watches sell for? I don't want to take my good watch!

How much do clothes sell for? For example shorts and tshirts.

I know the answer to these questions have potential to vary greatly, I'm just looking for a rough guide of peoples experiences with these things.

#1 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 21:12

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd buy the camera at home. You probably won't find any good deals on brand name, good quality cameras there. Prices don't vary that much. Also, you'll get the dealership's warranty, you'll have time to learn to use it, and you won't have to waste time shopping around for one when you can be doing something else that's more fun (unless that's your idea of fun).

You can get good deals on clothing depending on where you buy. There are plenty of brand name knock-offs, especially in markets like Chatuchak and Bobe (Bobae). Having said that, I can get a lot of stuff that is very similar, for very similar prices in Toronto's Chinatown without having to bicker over prices. Though I admit that is part of the fun.

Personally, I'd wait to buy the ticket. When you arrive you may decide that you don't even want (or need) to go to Phuket. Anyway, you can get there for a heck of a lot less by bus or by a bus/train combo. Not as fast, but it's about 1/3 the cost.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 01:20

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

Yes I've considered the bus but I think I'd rather fly as it'll be the start of a long trip.

Do you think the ticket would be cheaper in BK 2 or 3 days before I travel?

#3 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 02:45

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I would book at least a few weeks in advance. The prices tend to go up closer to the date and you can easily book it yourself through Air Asia. Also check Bangkok Airways I have been able to get some great deals when booking in advance, once even less than Air Asia.

#4 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 08:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

if an item is made in thailand, then you can usually buy it for less in thailand than you might pay for a comparable item back home. if it is imported, however, and that includes things made in thailand for export, then you'll pay more.

have you booked your flight to thailand yet? i ask because you can often add on an internal flight as a package deal for little and sometimes even no additional cost. i'd be inclined to purchase your flight to phuket ahead of time, depending on when you are travelling. low cost carriers like air asia usually offer deep discounts for advance purchases, but prices get higher as the date gets closer, particularly as flights fill up.

certainly there is a chance that you'll get a screaming last-minute low price deal on that flight, but how much do you expect to save and how much is having that confirmed flight worth to you? cheers.

#5 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 09:04

• goonistik

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2010
    Location Philippines
    Places visited:
    At least 9

Cameras are not cheap in Bangkok. Buy it at home.

Yes, there will be cheap MP3 players.

Fake watches? I'm sorry but I have strong opinion on fake watches. IMHO, it is better to get a Seiko 5 or an Oriental mechanical watch. Won't be that expensive and it makes a great daily beater. A "Daily beater" is a watch you can wear everyday and if anything happens to it, it won't be expensive to replace. And a watch collector will respect you for your choice. AFAIK, Seiko and Oriental mechanical watches are cheaper in SEA.

#6 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 10:22

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

Thanks for all your answers guys.

I have already booked my ticket to BK with EVA Air from Heathrow. One way premium economy £665 (direct). I think I'll book my ticket to Phuket before I go. I have been considering the bus more but at that stage I just want to get where I'm going as I'll have months of long bus/train journeys ahead.

Incidentally, when I first checked flights to Phuket they were £11 and now are £45. Better hurry!

#7 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 16:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.