Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Flying Southern Thailand to Chiang Mai

• Jw90

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2011

Hi all,

I am going to be in Thailand from the 12 December for around a month as part of my trip round Asia. I am hoping to head to the Gulf Islands for the Christmas and new year period, spending around 5 days each on Samui and Pangnang. After this I want to fly up to Chiang Mai , Hopefully on January 2nd. I have a couple of questions for more experienced Thai travellers;

Is Phuket the only place to fly to Chiang Mai from in the south? If so will I be able to get to Phuket from koh pangnang in one day, seeing as it will be new years day will the Thai transport system be running as usual? There are 2 flights from Phuket to Chiang Mai , morning and evening. Therefore if I leave koh pangnang on new years day will I get to Phuket the same evening and be able to catch the early flight the next day or am I best to do the journey in two days and catch the evening flight on the 2nd.

Thanks alot!

#1 Posted: 21/9/2011 - 23:07

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

You don't necessarily need to go all the way to Phuket just to catch a flight. You could fly from Samui Island, connecting through Bangkok, or from Surat Thani, again connecting through Bangkok.

The Samui Island option will be expensive, but if you get lucky, you might catch a decent price on the Surat Thani-BKK and BKK-Chiang Mai option, particularly if Air Asia is still flying those routes.

I'd be nervous trying to travel like that over the New Year Holiday weekend. It is a big deal in Thailand and most anyone who can will be on travelling that weekend.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 06:51

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Also check NOK Air & One Two Go. I believe they also fly from Surat Thani to BKK to Chang Mai.

FYI, the Phuket flight is not direct and will also require that you first stopover in BKK.

#3 Posted: 22/9/2011 - 08:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.