Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First trip, 2 months, help me plan!

• DavidW

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2011

Hello everybody. I'm currently planning a trip to Thailand in January until sometime February and then hopping over to India to explore there as well. Ive never been to either and I'm looking for some advice on a travel path to take during this time. I'm a 24 male traveling solo, and don't need to see the party scenes or usual tourist centers. In fact the whole point of this trip is to have very few plans, just a general idea of where im headed and work it out in a spontaneous fashion. Ive been working with many aspects of self development and spirituality and find traveling has a knack for reconnecting me to a deeper place of being. So this trip has a focus on that and self reflection.

Id like to travel cheap but not to the point of passing up experiences. I'm a rock climber and would love to rock climb a bit in Thailand if the chance was there. But all and all I'm open to suggestions and trying to figure out a good direction to travel in so im not back tracking etc. Thanks!

#1 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 12:09

• Advertisement

• KhowNeow11

Joined Travelfish
    10th September, 2011
    Total reviews: 9
    Places visited:
    At least 49

I think leaving your options open and your itinerary loose is the best way to travel, so you're off to a good start.
    If you're flying into BKK or Phuket, I'd recommend heading down to Krabi first; it has beautiful beaches and world-class rock climbing, so that seems like a no brainer to me (for a climber at least).
    After that, head up North toward Chiang Mai; it's a great city, it's surrounded by other amazingly beautiful and tranquil destinations, it has some excellent rock climbing opportunities, and you can get your Indian visa from the consulate in town. Can't go wrong! Along the way, keep researching destinations on Travel Fish, and if you meet some cool people that are going somewhere cool, go with them! That's half of the fun of traveling. Enjoy!

#2 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 12:52

• beentheredo-
    neit

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2011

Don't go to Thailand! If you don't need party scenes and usual tourist centres you'll have a much better time in Vietnam, it's that bit less developed making it a million times better. If you've already booked your flights - you can get a really cheap flight through Air Asia on to Ho Chi Minh/Hanoi.
    A good itinerary from South to North would be - Ho Chi Minh (classic buzzing Asian city - don't miss War Museum), Mekong Delta (floating market and stilt houses), Cu Chi Tunnels (really interesting history lesson about Vietnam War), Mui Ne (nice beach town with lots of kite surfing and where you can go sand boarding on awesome sand dunes), Dalat ('the second Paris' - a city in the mountains of the Central Highlands (you can go rock climbing here)), Nha Trang (beach town/party town - touristy but good for diving + watch the sunrise on the beach), Hoi An (beautiful town and THE place to get clothes tailored), Hue (pretty interesting Citadel and great beach), Hoi An, Halong Bay (INCREDIBLE scenery + rock climbing opportunities), Sapa (beautiful town in the mountains surrounded by many tribal villages - great for trekking). If you take your time and enjoy each place, this will take a month. Don't book anything other than flights and just follow your nose.
    Hope this helps!

#3 Posted: 23/9/2011 - 13:18

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

david,

i can't speak to the rock climbing end of things, but something that might fit what you've described is a trek along the mekong river through northeast thailand. you might start by taking the overnight train up to nong khai and hanging out there for a few days to get your legs. then head up river for a day or two in several charming riverside towns like sanghom and beyond. after that, double back just a bit and then continue downriver past nong khai and along the mekong through the half-dozen or so thai towns along the water. there aren't many western tourists along that route or much english spoken for that matter. but in my travels throught those areas i've found friendly people, fabulous river views, and great values on transport, accommodation, and food. plus, even though there are people around, you'll definitely be on your own, which i think leads to some of that solitude and spiritual growth you mention. cheers.

#4 Posted: 24/9/2011 - 01:54

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I agree with exacto. Done this as well and loves it. The only place I saw another traveller was in Nong Khai.
    If you want a quite island escape there are plenty of untouched islands in Ranong and Phang Nga as well as further south in Trang.

#5 Posted: 24/9/2011 - 09:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Free Months SEA Travel plan ... By SinSin23 on 13 Sep 2012 5 1392 15 Sep 2012