Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Current Weather in South Islands

• crease

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Hi, im arriving Phuket on the 30th September and will be getting the boat that day across to PhiPhi. Been looking up weather reports and looks like its pretty bad at the minute. Also heard there was flooding in Phuket with a warning issued for more possible floods and some flights cancelled during August.

Just wondering if anyone who may be around that area can offer any advice/news on the current situation. Many Thanks.

#1 Posted: 25/9/2011 - 10:46

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Haven't been there recently but I use this website http://www.windguru.cz/int/index.php?sc=121272 to check for the weather in this region.

It's pretty accurate and it doesn't look good for Phuket indeed with lots of rain. Some islands look better so check them out.

#2 Posted: 25/9/2011 - 15:12

• crease

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Cheers. Been checking all the sites and it all looks the same over the next 10-14 days, guess I was hoping on the unpredictability of the weather to change perhaps.

Not sure what to do, was considering just heading on up to Chiang Mai perhaps but looking the same there and pretty much all of Thailand and S.E Asia at the minute.

#3 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 04:27

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Chiang Mai is drying up and increasingly-sunny with the odd late-day shower. It tends to dry-out sooner than the south. Come on up!

#4 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 05:26

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

The islands in the Gulf coast are fine. Beautiful hot, sunny days with showers in the evening.

#5 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 08:55

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Agree with Bob.
    Even if it does rain there's plenty to do in Chiang Mai and it won't make you feel as miserable as sitting on a beach waiting for the weather to clear up.

And my experience is that it usually only lasts for a few days like at the Cambodian coast where I live. Now it's sunny after a few days of bad rain. My knowledge and experience of Thai islands is however limited.

#6 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 08:57

• crease

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Thanks for the replies guys. On further reading most people tend to agree that the forecasts should be taken with a pinch of salt as they usually show Thunderstorms but in reality they are interrupted with plenty of Sun.

Can handle a bit of rain, its rainy season after all ,just got worried incase I was heading into a 14 day monsoon. Have a flight to both bangkok and Phuket booked due to a change in plan so I guess I can make a decision on the day where to head, ideally I would have liked to hit the islands first as im flying from Kuala Lampur.

If anyone in Thailand at the minute could keep me updated during the week that would be fantastic!

#7 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 11:39

• jasinorbit

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Just got back from Phuket & Phi Phi. Phuket was a bit rainy off & on (not all day, but heavy when it did) and was often overcast/cloudy. Phi Phi island had great weather, early morning shower once, then sunshine and blue skies for our 5 days there. I found the forecast for each day of our trip in phuket was "thunderstorm" but its wasnt always that bad, so check out the links recommened above, or Jaimes Phuket weather blog can also be useful..

#8 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 14:18

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Thai weather forecasts almost always say "thundershowers" but as mentioned above it may well just be a late-day thing that lasts an hour or two but otherwise warm and at least partly sunny. The last few days in Chiang Mai for example it's been really nice during the day and then - bang - thunder and rain (kicked in at 3pm yesterday and we just finished a big woomph! again this evening).

#9 Posted: 26/9/2011 - 22:33

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Current weather, north or south? ... By Chaverbe on 20 Oct 2013 4 736 21 Oct 2013
Current Weather ... By silverbug11 on 8 Jun 2009 1 9086 8 Jun 2009
Current weather in Saigon ... By summ3r on 25 Oct 2010 0 1726 25 Oct 2010
Current weather in Vietnam ... By tijana88 on 4 Oct 2011 4 3822 17 Oct 2011
Current Weather in Vietnam ... By CoCo09 on 23 Sep 2009 18 16122 15 Oct 2012