Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

35 days in Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam Itinerary Help Please!!!

• phoebestella

Joined Travelfish
    20th September, 2011

A friend and I will arrive in Bangkok 16th of January 2012. We have 35 days before flying out again on the 23rd of Feburary. I just wanted a bit of advice as to how realistic we are being with time. We are able to fly between destinations for the most part as we have a moderate budget of about $3500US each. (?) We are happy to use some budget accomadation where needed but would also like to spend a little more in Koh Samui and Chiang Mai.

We would like to spend a few days in Bangkok before leaving to visit Ko Phi Phi first then Ko Samui and Ko Pha Ngan. From there we will make our way back to Bangkok and then head to Cambodia to visit Angkor Wat. We then would like to head to Ho Chi Minh City and spend two or three days there. We are then not sure wether we have time to go all the way to Hanoi and see Ha Long bay before flying back to Bangkok then Chiang Mai. We do not want to feel we are travelling too much and not spending enough time 'on holiday'. The other option was to fly from Bangkok to Saigon and go up to Nga Tran then down through South Vietnam and into Cambodia that way, missing Hanoi and Ha Long Bay. We are open to suggestions within the journey from Saigon to Hanoi although I would like to spend one or two nights in Nga Tran rather than just flying from Ho Chi Minh to Hanoi. We thought maybe four days in CM before heading back to Bangkok and spending two or three days there before flying back to New Zealand.

Please if anyone has any suggestions, we would like to book internal flights ASAP to keep costs down. It is our first time South East Asia and we would like to get the most from our limited time!

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 06:20

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

If you are only going to Hanoi to see Halong Bay then skip it. You will see similar (although not as spectacular) in Krabi /Phi Phi. However, Hanoi is a beautiful city and happens to be one of my favourite's in all of Asia. If you want to explore the city itself as well then dont miss it. There are overnight sleeper buses in Vietnam so this can easily be done. You could fly to HCNC, up to Na Tran and then to Hanoi and from there fly to BKK. There are probably flights from Cambodia to Vietnam but for this you should ask in these forums.

To get to Phi Phi quickly fly from BKK to Krabi. This can be done through Air Asia, Bangkok Airways and Thai Airways. It will then take almost a full day to get across to Koh Samui or again you can fly from Krabi to Samui with Bangkok Airways.

Also, you can fly directly from Samui to Siem Reap (Angkor Wat) with Bangkok Airways. This will give you 2 days extra to use on your travels as it will take that long if going by land. You can also fly from Surat Thani to BKK with Air Asia, NOK Air and 1-2-Fly.

I think if flying you have enough time to see all. It will be rushed but if you relax for the first week and last week and then run around in between you will probably be okay. There is also no need to spend a few days in BKK at the beginning and end unless you want to do some last minute shopping. Then just spend a few days there at the end and not at the beginning. This will also give you more time to see the other places.

#2 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 08:19

• Marget_love

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello phoebestella,

You are very intelligent when choose South East Asia to travel fr 16 Jan to 23 Feb, right in Lunar New Year. But I found you are not clear on idea, you said that want to spend enough time for what call holiday, but you are planning to operate the long trip by yourself?
    Only buying ticket, you should stay in the Bangkok, then go to airline agency to buy ticket transfer to Vietnam, for instant. But for traveling and discover the beauty of these destination, should you believe a travel agency!
    I aslo go to Thai Lan and visit Bangkok - place to shopping and Phu Ket - place of sex and to relax. And then we contact with local agency in Vietnam and spend a wonderful time - really a long trip - to explore all Vietnam, from Saigon, visit floating market, to Cu Chi Tunnel, Nha Trang Beach, before going up to Hue - lying on chair and listening vietnamese traditional folk music. After that, we decides to go to Ha Long Bay and walking across narrow street on Old Quarter in Ha Noi.

As you can see, my schedule is fully relax. No worry about anything, ticket, entrance fee, drivers... on account of our guide was in charge. He has done a good job, as his story, from working for the Package Travel.

Anyway, have a good trip, and take photograph to share everyone your great tour

#3 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 09:54

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I almost feel sorry to report this as spam (which I haven't done yet)

This is a work of art. "Phuket - place of sex", difficulties of buying a ticket and is that opening line about the intelligence a sarcastic remark? Brilliant!

If there is a Hall of fame for spam this should be in there

#4 Posted: 27/9/2011 - 15:14

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

Hi there.

I did the same trip last month in 31 days. Although I travelled a lot I honestly didn't feel like I did (in the UK my friends bought me a megabus ticket which was a 6 hour journey, I actually wanted to kill myself and considered spending hundreds of pounds on a flight ticket instead! But in Asia 6 hours was a good journey, I was happy enough just looking out the window and taking it all in).

I travelled a lot and achieved a lot for my money, even though I wasn't on a budget I spent about £900 the whole time I was away.

I had about 6 days in Bangkok between each destination, then I went to Kanchanaburi for 2 days, then Chiang Mai for 4, came back to Bangkok and got a bus to Siem Reap (only cost 700baht and took about 5 hours although had the most awful experience at the border crossing), saw Angkor Wat for a day, got an overnight bus to Phnom Penh which took 6 hours but I slept through it, had a day there, then got a bus the next day to HCMC which took 6 hours, then had 6 days there, flew back to Bangkok then got an overnight train to Chumpon and went to Koh Tao for 4 days then Koh Phangan for 3 days before getting a sleeper train back to BKK for my last night.

I didn't think it involved too much travelling and although I didn't get to know each place and the people as well as I'd like to I still got a feel for the country, culture and people and was glad I moved around as much as I did because you never know when you'll get another chance. And unless you want to do a particular activity in one place, when you're on such a tight time scale its best to move on asap. Enjoy.

#5 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 00:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Budget and Itinerary for 65 days in Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia ... By Floppy on 2 Oct 2012 0 2017 2 Oct 2012
32 days in Vietnam and Cambodia, our travel itinerary ... By KevandJho on 5 Oct 2011 9 2849 3 Dec 2011
Vietnam and Thailand in 32 days - please check my itinerary and comment :) ... By prankmonkey on 9 Feb 2010 9 4083 3 Jun 2011
Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand in 15 days? ... By sputnik0 on 24 Apr 2008 3 4717 25 Apr 2008
Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia in 45 days? ... By tandbjo on 9 May 2013 12 2104 5 Jun 2013
Thailand - Laos - Vietnam - cambodia in 30 days? ... By WelshGem on 20 Mar 2011 5 4430 20 Mar 2011
10 days - Cambodia, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam? ... By LordGordo on 13 Apr 2010 11 5665 14 Apr 2010
My trip to Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand in 13 days ... By TennisHaus on 26 Aug 2010 4 4760 31 Aug 2010
thailand-cambodia-vietnam help on my itinerary ... By asikajee on 2 Nov 2007 4 2477 9 Nov 2007
3 week itinerary to Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam ... By jessel on 28 May 2011 5 8508 30 May 2011