Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Chang to U-Tapao Airport???

• lordydord

Joined Travelfish
    1st September, 2011

Hello,

We are travelling from Koh Chang to Phuket (Via U-tapao airport)

Please can anyone advise how to get from Koh Chang to U-Tapao Airport? We would need to arrive at the airport for 12pm as our flight is at 1pm.

We have searched & think the only way is by private taxi... any suggestions, tips on prices etc would be most helpful

Cheers

#1 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 03:15

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Lordydord,

Taxi is one option, but there are others. It's possible to get to Rayong from Trat by bus. You may have to switch buses in Chanthaburi , but that's simple. Or you could also go via Pattaya.

From Rayong or Pattaya you could get a taxi if there isn't public transport. You'd find this out when you get to the bus station in either place.

Getting there by noon from Koh Chang may be a bit tricky, though. If I had to catch a 1:00 flight, I'd leave Koh Chang the day before and spend a night in Trat (recommended), or Chanthaburi (also recommended), or even Rayong. I wouldn't want to spend a night in Pattaya, but that's just me. This will give you time to sort out your transport without stressing out, and without being forced into a situation where you will have to hire a taxi.

Keep in mind that it's about 3 hours to the airport from Trat, and that the ferries start leaving at around 6:30 and/or 7:00.

You'd be wise to ask at the Trat bus terminal what time buses leave before going to the island. There may be minivans, as well. If you aren't going to the bus terminal, there are agencies at the piers where the ferries leave that should be able to help you. Often your guest house/resort owner can find out all of these things just by making a few phone calls. Heck ... your hotel or guest house owner in Bangkok can, as well. if you ask. Just don't leave it until the last minute.

By bus to Rayong or Pattaya shouldn't cost more than 75-100 baht per person, perhaps less. A taxi will cost you a bundle.

#2 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 04:56

• CocoDeeBo

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2007
    Location Thailand

Hi - Your best and only realistic option is by private car leaving on the first ferry. The minivan to Utapao from Koh Chang leaves the island at around 10:30am. There are minvans going to Pattaya from Ao Thamachat pier, but I would not rely on even the first of those to reach (or even call at) Utapao in time. Taxi from Koh Chang is around 3,000 Baht.
    Did you know there's now a flight from Trat to Phuket (via Samui)?

#3 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 06:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.