Thailand forum

Flooding in Thailand...

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

This just in... Chiang Mai Mail: Train services to Bangkok have been cancelled due to flooding.

http://www.thaitravelnews.net/thailand-floods/thailand-floods-warnings-northeast-thailand-minor-flooding-reported-bangkok/

#1 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 11:44

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's been a very rainy rainy season. We didn't get much flooding up here in Muk, but I was beginning to think the rain wasn't going to stop. The river is full to the brim, Indochin Market has flooded out once already, the rivers are full across the area... but it's green. My fathers rice farm is doing great!

#2 Posted: 28/9/2011 - 11:54

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've got a couple of blog entries on this as well, both for ChiangMai and SiemReap and should have another for Phnom Penh a bit later today.

wet wet wet

#3 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 07:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I always am worn out by the end of the rainy season. Just get tired of it.

#4 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 12:02

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And here is the wrap for today from PhnomPenh.

#5 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 12:21

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

This is the second year running that the weather has been unusually wet. Last year when I was in SE Sulawesi the locals said they hadn't had a dry season that year...rain rain rain all year long. And the floods back in March in southern Thailand were definitely very abnormal too. El nino/nina blip or real climate change?

#6 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 15:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"El nino/nina blip or real climate change?"

I think you would need a decade plus of data, and even then, you wouldn't be sure. Issan, from about 1950 to 1980, went through a pretty dry period. They called it a drought. Negatively affected crop production. But that turned out to be a temporary event (30 years temporary). It's wetter right now than it was last year (although last year was pretty wet), but it's not radically wetter than my first year living here, and we've had less flooding this year in Issan than we did last year.

#7 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 16:38

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Oh God! I am flying to Bangkok on Saturday and have booked a train to Chiang Mai on Tuesday. I hope things return to normal otherwise i will have to re-consider my months work of planning to Chiang Mai.

#8 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 17:49

• chopin

Joined Travelfish
    28th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Geezy, you can always use domestic airlines to fly from BKK to CM, at least AirAsia should be available at low price.

#9 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 06:22

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And the rainy season should come to an end pretty soon. So no worries Geezy.

#10 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 11:55

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The current flooding is east and south of the old city, and the central area remains mostly unaffected (fingers crossed). Ankle-deep at the night bazaar this evening and increasingly deep as you head south along the Ping river. But aside from that and the cancelled trains not much affect on tourists (but if you have dinner reservations at the Riverside Restaurant it might be time to cancel).
    Some pics from today

#11 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 20:39

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Cheers for the positive replies guys.

@Chopin - I was really looking forward to getting the train actually :-(

@Madmac - I hope the rainy season ends and i can get on with it.

By the way is anyone around Chiang Mai for a drink or in the next wek or 2? Also will these floods affect the slowboat trip to Luang Prabang?

Cheers
    Geezy

#12 Posted: 30/9/2011 - 22:20

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"will these floods affect the slowboat trip to Luang Prabang?"

No problem. Boats like water, but I wouldn't take a speed boat this time of year (floating logs). Slow boats run year-round with few exeptions.

#13 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 09:58

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#14 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 14:14

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Flood update. I have just been to Hualampong Station and all trains to Chiang Mai have been cancelled. Thye were happy to refund my ticket. All I had to do was walk upstairs to the travel agent and they booked me onto a 50 seater recling bus. The guy at the station seemed to think the trains would be off about 5-10 days! His words not mine. Apparently the problem isnt with Chiang Mai itself but the surrounding areas that are causing the problems.

Geezy

#15 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 16:32

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"the problem isnt with Chiang Mai itself but the surrounding areas that are causing the problems"

Correct. I've spent the last 2 days surveying the area south of Chiang Mai by motorbike, following the rail line and/or the Ping river as much as possible. No problem with the rail at least as far south as Lampang and according to reports it's more an issue with floods south of Nakhon Sawan (Lopburi, Ayutthaya) down towards Bangkok. Another rainy spell looks to be headed this way over the next couple days, so stay tuned... http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/259691/new-warning-flash-floods-landslides

#16 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 22:21

• c86

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2011

does anybody know sth about the present situation in sukothai?
    i am planning to go there on saturday 8th of october. is it possible to go there from chiang mai and to visit the old town of sokothai?
    Jo

#17 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 09:13

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Here's a handy Google flood map (thank you Richard Barrow) to help locate the actual trouble spots
    http://www.thaitravelblogs.com/2011/10/map-showing-flooded-roads-in-thailand/

#18 Posted: 7/10/2011 - 17:42

• thaiunderwa-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2011

Hey guys, great to see that people are still interested in what's going on during the floods. If you want to make a contribution, here is our page for donations. We don't make any profit of it, it's just information where you can donate - Red cross and many other organisations. Thanks for your help!
    http://on.fb.me/t2w7Ed

#19 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 21:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.