Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

food on the overnight train to Trang

• sologirl

Joined Travelfish
    15th August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    I"m taking the overnight train from BKK on the 17th to Trang and wondered if I should be stocking up on snacks & meals etc. One hears so many horror stories about the quality of train food (to be avoided at all costs...) I'm not sure how much of a lead time I'll have to go shopping. I arrive into BKK from CM at 12:55 and have till 18:20 to get across town to the train station.

Thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 10/2/2007 - 09:32

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Personally don't mind the train food - there's a farangafied Thai menu... 6 hours from BKK to the train station is BUCKETLOADS of time -- no sortage of spots at the station to buy Thai and western food.

#2 Posted: 10/2/2007 - 14:40

• corzor

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2007

Personally i would mind the train food... our trip a week ago from bangkok to thurat Tanni saw me walking past the food cabin to see one of the guys handling food with his hands with a cigarette in his hands, sweating and wearing a singlet. Wasn't a pleasant look at all.. Thankfully when the bus's took us to the port to goto Ko Phangan there was really nice salad rolls made for us.

#3 Posted: 10/2/2007 - 18:44

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

I'll repeat what I've said before about the train food, which is that it's no great shakes and not a particularly good value either. Even so, it is part of the fun to have the stewards bring the food right to your seat and set up the table for you, etc.

If you are travelling with a partner, you can always order one meal and split it, just to get a sense of the experience. I often choose to have dinner before the train departs and carry a few snacks on board, but then order a breakfast to enjoy an hour or so before the train arrives. Breakie should set you back around 100 baht or so. Dinners are more in the 150 baht and up range.

Apart from the food on board, as Somtam says, there are plenty of western- and thai-style food outlets at Hua Lamphong Station, where you'll easily be able to grab food to carry onto the train. There are also a few convenience stores in the station and booths next to the tracks selling snacks and drinks. You'll have no trouble loading up on the snacks you'll need.

#4 Posted: 11/2/2007 - 07:33

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

The Western food one orders for breakfast is usually pretty bad. The Thai food is definitely mediocre (I mean, how can you screw up rice soup???). Also, if your breakfast arrives and your table isn't set up because the person beneath you is still snoozing, then you end up having to eat sitting up (half bent over) in your berth. Last time I ordered breakfast the server brought it to me while I was still asleep. She woke me up then slid it into my berth and walked away. Better to go and get it in the dining car IMHO.

I think this was a rarity. Usually the service is much better ... and far better than the food.

I'd also like to add this - The people who work on the trains serving food do not earn a wage. A friend of mine was a server on the Nong Khai to Bangkok line, 2nd. class, non a/c sleeper cars. What she did earn was 5% of all the sales she made during the trip. You can imagine what that would add up to when considering that people get onto those night trains later in the evening (usually having already eaten ... several times) and sometimes head straight to bed, then disembark not long after sunrise. Not much of a living. On a good night she'd earn about B100. On a quiet night, or even a quiet week, she'd earn close to nothing. A lot of these guys/girls/ladies make their home on the train, as well. Most don't leave the train when they arrive in Bangkok, either. They'll roast during the day while waiting to leave in the evening.

It's a very difficult situation for many of them. So, if one of them offers you a menu and give a look of pure disappointed when you refuse it, this is usually why. They DO care if you don't order anything, unlike a server who might be paid by the hour or day (or month).

I'm not writing this because I think that people should eat on the trains. I rarely do. But, I'll always have a coffee in the morning and tip them when I pay. And I never get off the train without slipping B50, or so, to the guy who makes the bed and fluffs my pillow before I crash.

I know it's not custom, but it does make a difference to them.

#5 Posted: 13/2/2007 - 21:11

• corzor

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2007

ok ok.... train...a great experience but a 1600bht flight with air asia definately made my decision on how i was getting back to bangkok....as long as you plan before hand there are some seriously cheap flights

#6 Posted: 15/2/2007 - 12:20

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

In my experience of train food in Thailand it is usally over cooked and over priced! I would take your own snacks if I were you. ;)

#7 Posted: 21/2/2007 - 02:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Overnight train Nha Trang to Da Nang? ... By adelene on 16 Jul 2006 2 9134 17 Jul 2006
Overnight Train from Suvarnahumbi airport to Chiang Mai - which train station is closest? ... By etsai026 on 14 Oct 2006 1 2969 15 Oct 2006
Best overnight train choice?? ... By EmjayReet on 15 Sep 2009 2 2479 22 Sep 2009
Overnight train to Krabi ... By kriskeogh on 16 Feb 2012 2 1489 17 Feb 2012
Overnight train to Chang Mai ... By michmich11 on 24 May 2008 10 3083 24 Dec 2011
Overnight train Bangkok to Chiang Mai ... By Paddy1888 on 15 Oct 2013 12 1704 18 Nov 2013
taking our scooters on an overnight train ... By paudie1987 on 27 Feb 2013 1 1543 3 Mar 2013
OVERNIGHT TRAIN TO HANOI FROM CHINA ... By jbaer20 on 29 Apr 2011 2 5350 24 May 2011
Overnight train from Surat Thani to Bangkok ... By BrumbyJack on 5 Jan 2013 7 6607 7 Jan 2013