Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko tao - best (cheapest) way to get there

• limorm

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi everyone,

Thank you for a wonderful sight with great tips!

I am trying to figure out the best way to get to Ko Tao from BGK. I understand there is a "combined" ticket one can buy through travel agencies, which includes a bus to Surat Thani and a fary from there to Ko Tao, which should cost around 900 B. Has anyone does this route (or via Chumphon) individualy? combining perhaps a train? express boat? bus?...... Any kind of information would be of great help!

Thank you all!

#1 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 22:45

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I prefer a 2nd class berth on a sleeper train because you can lie down properly and the trains don't arrive so early in Chumphon as the buses do. Google "the man in seat 61" website for train details.

You still have to hang around at the station a bit (usually about an hour) but there's a place selling coffee etc. You can buy boat tickets from the various ferry companies at the train station when you get to Chumphon or buy a combined ticket if you want when you get your train ticket.

Transfer to the pier is included in the price of the ferry ticket. They start transfering passengers to the pier a little before 6am (the ferries all leave at 7am but from different piers and the piers are a little way out of town).

If you take a bus option from Khao San Road then the Lomphraya ferry bus has a good reputation and they do combined bus boat tickets. The Songserm ferry is cheaper but slower and I've read reports of theft from luggage in the hold in their buses in the past. (Always keep valuable stuff on you on buses, especially ones originating from or going to Khao San Road.)

Of course you could get the train and the cheaper Songserm ferry if you wanted to too... all the ferries will have people selling tickets at the station when the train arrives so you can chose which ferry you want.

PS the trains south generally leave on time but are usually about an hour late by the time they get to Chumphon. I can't remember what the exact times are but there's a sleeper leaving about 7.30 pm which is scheduled to arrive at 3.45 or something.... it arrives in Chumphon at around 4.30-5am usually. Don't take the later train because it will arrive late too and you'll miss your ferry connection!

#2 Posted: 29/9/2011 - 23:43

• Connor83

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011

I done the trip in the opposite yesterday with Lomphrayah. It was fairly painless. It cost 1000 baht. Stock up on supplies in a 7/11 before you leave though.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 23:14

• Nixxypie

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2011

I did this trip last month. I got the 10:30pm train from BKK to Chumpon (had to go so late because I flew back from Vietnam into Bangkok at 8pm so this was my only option). I think it cost around 500baht but it was a sitting train, it wasn't too bad because the seat reclined a bit and it had aircon, but I couldn't sleep because Chumpon wasn't the last stop and I was worried about missing it, but a guy who worked on the train came and told us when we were approaching anyway. We were meant to arrive at 5.50am but were a little late, but the people running the ferries understood they'd be missing a lot of customers if they hadn't waited, so there were buses ready to pick us up as soon as we got off the train. We paid 400baht for the transfer to the ferry and the 3 hour slower ferry with Songserm, but it wasn't a bad journey. You could pay 550baht for the fast 1.5-2 hour ferry if you wanted to but we were too tired to care!

#4 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 03:11

• limorm

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thank you all!!!!

Been great help :)

#5 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 13:29

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.