Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Pangan New Years Eve Full Moon Party Accommodation

• StephJayne1-

Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011

I'm taking a month out in dec/jan to travel around thailand. I'm currently trying to get some accommodation in Koh Pangan but struggling slightly as I've left it a bit late. Can get a bed in a 19bed dorm in the Dancing Elephant in Haat Rin, but not too sure how I feel about sharing with that many people. I'm up for a party and a laugh, and I am travelling on my own so I'm figuring it'll be a good way to meet people... but I do want to get some sleep occasionally as I'll be staying there for a week! Has anyone stayed here before who can give me some advice? Or can anyone advise of any other accommodation in Pangan which still has availability?

If it makes any difference I plan to be there from 27th Dec to 3rd Jan :)

#1 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 00:09

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I am sure you can find something away from Haad Rin. There are hundreds of resorts on the island and I know for a fact that many are not yet full for that time period. Best to search elsewhere on the island, especially if you want to get some sleep.

If you go to www.phangan.info you can read up on all the different beaches and accomodations.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 22:42

• TedTsang

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011

Hey Steph.
    Me and a mate will be in Thailand during Dec/ Jan for our first time aswell. We have just booked 7 nights from 27th Dec to the 3rd Jan at the Full Moon Hostel in Haad Rin, Koh Phangan. The reviews look pretty good and the dorms are nice, also everyone gets locker. Which is good!! Check out
    http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldetails.php/Full-Moon-Hostel/Koh-Phangan/50355

Also there are quite a few people in the dorms so being a single traveller, I'm sure you will be with other single travellers.

From our research, it seems like accommodations are booking up quick!

If you want anymore information, just message me here or on fb.
    http://www.facebook.com/TedTsang6

David.

#3 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 07:44

• lylzezane01

Joined Travelfish
    3rd September, 2012
    Location Australia

We stayed in Haat Rin as well. It was perfect! Our guesthouse did trips in the night of the full moon so we had so problem getting there and getting back. Where we stayed was perfect, it was far enough from the hustle and bustle for an escape but not too far if we wanted to go a little crazy. I recommend staying in Haat Rin for sure!

#4 Posted: 5/9/2012 - 00:25

• slwtravels

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2012

There's this really awesome 'resort' at the top of the hill in Haat Rin. It's called 'Top Hill Resort'. I think it's a bit more expensive (like $15 a cabin), but the views are amazing, you can walk down to the beach, but you don't really hear the music from the party, so if you're weak like me, you can go to bed at 3am rather than partying all though the night :) Also, the owners are amazingly friendly and great cooks. Downsides - a little far away from the action, but still walking (and motorbike) distance, and you can't really book it beforehand... but that's kind of a plus because not many other people know about it. They mainly have repeat customers I think..

#5 Posted: 5/9/2012 - 06:53

• rebeccalucyh

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2012

Hi Steph,
    I'm also going to Thailand in December on my own. I booked to stay at the Hard Road Cafe in Koh Pangan http://www.hardroadphangan.com/ through Hostelworld.com from 29th - 3rd Jan. I think it's a bit more expensive than some of the other places but it's a ten minute taxi ride to the full moon party so should be a bit quieter. I booked a 3 person dorm but they also had 14 & 16 people dorms I think.
    I only booked it on Monday but they still had a couple of places left. I don't know what it's like yet but the reviews all looked pretty good and it seems quite a social hostel.
    Hope that helps!

#6 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 07:09

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Haad Rin sucks, really, the whole full moon party atmosphere is the opposite of fun in my opinion, been twice will never go back. (yeah I tried) But this is not Thailand. There are so many better places to go to on the island rather than buy into this overhyped event

#7 Posted: 6/9/2012 - 10:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You went twice? Seeing all the people hanging around the beach the day before was enough to turn me off going. It's quite sad tourists can't think of a better thing to do in Thailand than get wasted on a beach. You could do that at home.

#8 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 12:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Hey we covered this before gentlemen. The kind of people who go to the full moon party are the kind of people who hang at Khao San Road. They are not coming to Thailand, they are coming to be with other backpackers. They go to VV (though not much longer) as well. For them the geograghy is completely secondary. It's not sad, it's not bad, it just is what it is. I don't get it and I never will. But different strokes for different folks.

#9 Posted: 7/9/2012 - 12:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

It is what it is. Sad for the parents if they get killed or get locked up. But the sheep will still line up the the slaughter each month. The only positive I can see is it keeps these people away from the good spots for a while.

#10 Posted: 9/9/2012 - 09:29

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Leonard you can't stop people from being foolish. And if they don't do it in one place, they will do it in another. So no point in worrying about it. I'm glad there is a full moon party. It draws these people away from place I might be... of course, nobody seems interested in the places I might be anyway. Issan seems to be of little interest to anyone.

#11 Posted: 10/9/2012 - 08:35

• vipinsh

Joined Travelfish
    21st September, 2012
    Location Earth

Hi Dani,

Try WWW.PHANGAN.INFO
    They are reliable and very helpful or else look at booking.com

I booked my stay in Jungle huts on koh phangan for the NYE FMP.

Cheers

#12 Posted: 21/9/2012 - 13:20

• rrcastro

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2014

Anybody going on 2014 NYE full moon party? I'm also kind of lost trying to find a good accomodation that is no inside the party and the crowd areas, but still close to enough as a walking distance.

#13 Posted: 7/10/2014 - 10:01

• chillaxgal28

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2014
    Location Malaysia

Will be going this year from 28th Dec to 3rd Jan. Staying at ban tai area, was looking for accommodation around haadrin, but the cheap ones are already taken up.

Best to stay further a bit. And take taxi to haadrin during NYE. U can try out to look in haad yuan too..

#14 Posted: 23/10/2014 - 10:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Looking for a place to spend New Years other than Full Moon Party ... By mightycabage on 14 Oct 2011 5 1544 15 Oct 2011
Full Moon Party - accommodation ... By Travel1221 on 26 Oct 2009 6 3973 27 Oct 2009
Xmas full moon party accommodation ... By dorial on 19 Nov 2010 4 1650 14 Dec 2010
Sihanoukville Full Moon Party & Accommodation ... By nadjan on 2 Aug 2006 5 8851 8 Sep 2006
Help! - Koh Phangan Accommodation Full Moon Party ... By KatieI on 15 Jul 2009 2 2934 16 Jul 2009
Loi Krathong and Full Moon Party, pushes party day later? ... By helmo645 on 26 May 2012 0 1590 26 May 2012
Full Moon Party ... By veronicad on 18 Dec 2012 5 2438 20 Dec 2012
Next Full Moon Party... ... By SammyB on 28 Apr 2009 1 3400 2 May 2009
full moon party and a-like ... By simonea on 26 Nov 2010 2 2929 30 Nov 2010
NYE Full Moon Party from Koh Tao ... By alexanderaroch on 1 Sep 2012 5 4949 4 Sep 2012