Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Train - Bangkok to Samui

• ChowChow

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Hi guys.

I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to book tickets.

Is there a train / ferry ticket from Bangkok to Koh Samui.

Which class is the best to buy? 1st class I presume? There will be 2 of us (not a couple) - What will we get for that? We'd like somewhere we can sleep privately with space.

Also how far from the airport is the train station. We will have about 3 hours from when we arrive to Bangkok to get our train.

Where can I buy tickets and how do I collect them?

Thanks for your help :-)

#1 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 06:32

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

#2 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 10:00

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

You can get a combined ticket at the train station, which will get you from Surat Thani to the pier and onto a ferry.

First class is the best option if you want a private area.

You can get a train from the airport to the train station or take a taxi.

#3 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 22:35

• ChowChow

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Thanks. I want to book before we get there incase it's booked out :(

If I use this site

http://www.thailandtrainticket.com

Do I chose Bangkok to Koh Samui (Will that be a train / ferry ticket?)

Also when I select that and select first class it gives me choice of lower or upper berth.

As I'm going with a friend we'd like to be in the same room. Do you have your own room in 1st class?

Should I select 1 upper / 1 lower? Or is it like a hostel type thing with loads of beds and you get whatever is available, ie, no allocation?

Sorry for all the Q's, I know I'm being stupid, just confused by it all :(

#4 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 14:50

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

I can't comment on booking through that website as I've never done it but regarding train layout, I've only ever used the 2nd class and that's been fine: the carriages have seats either side of the corridor. The seats get turned into bunk beds at night with curtains across them. If you take this option you should get 1 upper and 1 lower to be together and you will have seats allocated. Personally I wouldn't bother upgrading to 1st class but it's an option.

Look at the seat61.com link that Captain_Bob referenced - it has pictures so will help you get your head round it.

#5 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 17:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Offered: 2 first class train tickets koh samui -> bangkok ... By mathijsb on 25 Jun 2009 0 2312 25 Jun 2009