Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Itinerary change due to floods?? HELP

• Connor83

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011

Hello Im long time reader first time poster, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Myself and my girlfriend have been in Thailand for about 15 days now. We flew into Bangkok, stayed 2 days and headed south to Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
    We had planned on heading north up to Chiang Mai completely unaware of the floods. So when we arrived in Bangkok by bus we went to get our over night train only to find it had been cancelled.
    We had planned to go to Chiang Mai then head through Loas and into Vietnam. Hanoi all the way down the coast to Ho Chi Minh and up into Cambodia and back into Thailand. We would like to do the Andaman coast for our last week here in early november, hopefully it should be nice there by then. Very vague I know, but we were just kind of making plans as we go!! Now we are in Bangkok, we have 45 days left in our trip. I think some of the places we have mentioned seem to be off limits, and according to the news there is more heavy rain expected.

Can anybody give us any ideas of what to do??? We are willing to completely change our route???

#1 Posted: 1/10/2011 - 23:04

• Advertisement

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

I wouldn't change the itinerary. According to many the situation is close to normal again in Chiang Mai. It could be that the trains may have difficulty running because they have to go through (still) flooded areas but you have flights as alternative.

Flying would have my preference but by now the trains and bus might be running again as well.

#2 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 09:18

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Indeed Chiang Mai is pretty much back to normal after a brief 2-day flood situation (worst affected were those downriver from the city limits well outside the popular old city area). But the worst flooding remains along the Chao Phraya river plain north of Bangkok (Ayutthaya, Lopburi, Nakhon Sawan, etc.)

See http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/259239/all-of-ayutthaya-province-declared-disaster-area

You can still get a bus up north, but trains are off the menu until further notice, and a quick 50-minute flight to Chiang Mai would make the most sense. No visible flooding here anymore and the cleanup was swift.

So no real need to change your itinerary, just keep an eye on any news/developments as we ride out what is usually the tail-end of wet season.

#3 Posted: 2/10/2011 - 11:09

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

Not sure how easy it is to get out of Bangkok at all right now, but thought it might also be possible for you to just do that same route in reverse and potentially avoid the problem of flooding north of Bangkok entirely.

#4 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 05:09

• Connor83

Joined Travelfish
    1st October, 2011

Ok thank you for all the advise. We going to stick to the plan, we are flying to Chiang Mai today. We will probably spend 4 or five days there. Then as for the rest of the trip, we'll just have to plan it 1 day at a time and keep an eye on weather warnings ect. I am really looking forward to heading up north.

I am finding it difficult to understand the online forecasts since I have gotten to Thailand. For example, it forecasted thunderstorms for the last 3 days in Bangkok but we have only seen 1 downpour and it only lasted about half an hour, the rest of the time it was sunny with some scattered clouds. And of course really really HOT!!

#5 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 11:43

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Thai weather forecasts almost always include the word "thundershowers" and as you have seen firsthand by now it can be misleading - maybe a little rumbly cloud or quickie shower, maybe a mostly sunny day first, or something wetter they always use that word anyway. I motorcycled all around Chiang Mai today which is supposedly "flooded" and hardly encountered a drop or a puddle.

#6 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 20:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary change (need Help) ... By Carrelas on 4 Jul 2010 1 897 4 Jul 2010