Diving Advice Needed

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey,
    I plan to dive the Similan Islands in January 2012. Looking at a liveaboard for 3-4 nights. Can anyone recommend an operator? I would prefer to leave from Kho Tao but willing to go to Phuket as well.

What is a "normal" deposit requirement? I would also need to rent all of the gear.

And for those who have done this - is there anything aside from the usual backpacking/diving stuff that you felt you could have used but realized you didn't have once you got out there?
    Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

#1 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 09:10

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

"I would prefer to leave from Kho Tao but willing to go to Phuket as well"

Ko Tao is on the wrong side of the country. Best base for Similan/Surin live-aboard trips is Khao Lak. Three-day trips for under 20,000b or five-day trips for under 30,000 (if all-inclusive) are decent value. Check out Wicked Diving http://wickeddiving.com and Sea Dragon http://www.seadragondivecenter.com among others.

#2 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 10:38

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Whoops! I should have written this before the beer! Thanks for the help Captain...I'll check them out.

#3 Posted: 3/10/2011 - 11:03

• mikethediver

Click here to learn more about mikethediver
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 3

Hi,
    Just one thing to watch out for, a lot of companies run daily trips to join liveaboards just for the day. This has the problem of overloading the boat during the day and also of keeping it closer to the shore than would otherwise be the case. If you plan to book a 3 day trip it is reasonable to assume that it will leave every 3 days; if you are told you can join the boat on any day then there is a good potential for an overcrowded boat.

On a 4 day trip you 'should' (see above) go further afield and therefore see more dive sites, notable Richleau Rock.

There are many operators in Phuket & Khoa Lak you just have to check around, although I do agree that seadragon have a good rep!
    mike

#4 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 04:09

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

hi there i posted a trip report sometime ago re: similans liveaboards might be of some help.

cheers

http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/tripreports/8470_similan-islands-liveaboard-trip-report

#5 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 06:12

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hey,

Mikethediver - Thanks for the tips! It makes prebooking the longer trip look like a good idea.

Swag - Dude, that is a killer report. It sounds perfect. I am completely sold on it.

Heads and it's SeaDragon. Tails....

#6 Posted: 4/10/2011 - 08:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Diving in Phi Phi - advice needed! ... By sasharroberts76 on 20 Nov 2006 4 2313 20 Nov 2006