Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

6 days - Andaman Coast - places?

• Sam2011

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2011

Hi all,

First of all - love love love this website!

I am travelling to Bangkok, Vietnam and Siem Riep in Nov/Dec.

After 2 weeks whizzing around seeing as much as we can in those places we are going to spend a week in Southern Thailand - the islands. . . Think I've decided on the Andaman Coast. But now what? Fly in to Phuket and then what? Stay on Phuket for a day or 2? Where? Do day trips to some of the places in the Andaman - Phi Phi, Krabi, Ko Lanta, Railey, Khao Lak, Krabi, Ko Lipe . . or go and spend a day and night at some of these? Which ones?

Hoping for beautiful beaches, beautiful scenery, easy jungle treks, drinks but not wild bars, restaurants but not a 'strip', fantastic 'real' Thai people that I hear you all talking about and wonderful food - Not much then hey!

ANY help would be so much appreciated!

Suggestions on locations, itineraries, transport options...

Thanks all

#1 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 05:29

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

It is much to far to do day trips to these islands from Phuket . Best to choose one or two and then visit each for a few days. Six days in not much time to see more than that.

Krabi definately fits the bill, stunning scenery, beautiful beaches, jungle treks, etc. There is plenty to do here. Khao Lak is also good and you can do a day trip to Khao Sok National Park from here as well as a snorkelling trip to the Similan Islands. Also, Phang Nga Bay is worth checking out, also via Khao Lak as well as Phuket.

From Krabi you can also visit Lanta and Phi Phi and spend a night or two on each, but you may find that you want to stay longer. So you could visit Krabi and then one of these islands. Without knowing you it is hard to say what you would prefer.

Both Krabi and Khao Lak are easy to get to from the Phuket airport.

#2 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 09:37

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

Hey,
    Lanta has many beaches and if you have some scooter skills you find one everyday that you could be alone on. Head into Ban Saladan for some shops, go to Old Town, heaps of bars that don't have the go-go feel that many touristed places offer and lots to do. I've stayed at The Narima a few times and loved it there. Depends on your budget - it was my so called splurge during my travels. The diving is awesome.
    Lipe is a little farther and I am not sure if you can take a ferry direct from Phuket. But there are no cars! Long beach and plenty of places to stay. Not much for trekking though. I am sure some of the other members can/will give you more detailed info...The sunsets are stunning.
    If I got 6 days and flying into Phuket...I'm either changing my flight to Krabi! Or going direct to the ferry!
    To be honest, Krabi sounds like the perfect place for you to start in. Nice little town, spend the night and then you have heaps of incredible places within a few hours of it.
    Have fun.

#3 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 10:26

• RACHYPF

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

Hi would definitley head to Krabi - its beautiful have been 3 times and found to be really chilled and relaxed, if you want 'real Thai' base yourself in Krabi town for a couple of nights and head down to the night market amazing! Railay is gorgeous, stunning karst cliffs will not disappoint.
    The Similan islands from Khoa Lak are one of the most beautiful places I have ever been well worth staying overnight for. We have been twice and seen thousands of fish, sea snakes, eels, octopus, jellyfish and had close ups with turtles a fantastic experience with friendly knowledgable guides. The Andaman is truly beautiful the trouble is picking where to go!
    As others have suggested stick to a couple of places I would go Krabi and Khao Lak for similan Islands - if u do go with Medseye

#4 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 18:10

• Sam2011

Joined Travelfish
    6th October, 2011

Thank you so much everyone! Am getting very excited now as it's starting to feel more real!

Need to see if I can change my flight as it's booked to go to Koh Samui at the moment. If not guess we will have to add another flight from KS to Krabi.

Tyler - I don't think I have scooter skills! Not strong enough for the scary roads out there anyway :-)

#5 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 18:15

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada

Sam - don't worry about the scooter. Lanta is a "bigger" island, but for a few bucks you'll get taken anywhere you want! Good luck.

#6 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 20:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
12 day on andaman coast ... By shaggyinsea on 2 Apr 2012 2 1377 3 Apr 2012
Andaman Coast ... By bliprogers on 2 Nov 2006 1 1825 3 Nov 2006
Andaman Coast - now! ... By noflyzone on 11 Jul 2010 4 2615 20 Jul 2010
2.5 weeks on the Andaman Coast ... By mcshapir520 on 23 Jan 2013 1 1652 23 Jan 2013
Ko Chang (Andaman Coast) or Ko Phayam ... By Tinz on 10 Sep 2012 5 2195 10 Sep 2012
Andaman Coast/Itinerary Advice ... By Ace8c on 30 Dec 2013 9 411 31 Dec 2013
Island hoping down the Andaman coast ... By glynsheard on 14 Aug 2007 1 3268 15 Aug 2007
a peaceful week on the andaman coast ... By sheisaeval on 26 Jan 2010 2 1450 27 Jan 2010
ANDAMAN COAST - advice on itinerary & transport ... By louzdelaluna on 13 Nov 2013 19 1044 28 Nov 2013
beach in February - Andaman coast vs Gulf ... By adriana_o on 21 Jan 2013 4 2000 22 Jan 2013