Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Route to avoid flooding?

• lloydjoslin

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Hi, so I'm in Bangkok and want to move on now but seen there is flooding! My original plan was to go east through Cambodia then up through Vietnam and across Laos to Chang Mai then back down but maybe it would be better to go the other way round up to Chang Mai then accross to Laos and so on? What do u recon would be the best route to take? Any help would be much appreciated. Lloyd

#1 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 13:54

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Main thing is to get past the flood zone north of Bangkok and up to Chiang Mai . I would forget trying to go north by train/bus in the next few days though. Trains are cancelled and today the main highway through Ayutthaya has been shut down and there are live images on TV of absolute gridlock traffic with people forced to turn around or find alternative routes (which are mostly flooded). What a mess things are in Ayutthaya!

If you can grab a quick flight up to Chiang Mai though, it's not really a problem up here now, and getting to north Laos and then slow boat to Luang Prabang is easy.

#2 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 16:31

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

I would second Captain Bob's advice - I just booked a flight from Bangkok to Chiang Mai a couple of hours ago for Saturday (also currently available for tomorrow) and you can still get a fairly cheap price. OK, not as cheap as the bus but there's just too much uncertainty on the roads at the moment.

#3 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 16:47

• lloydjoslin

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Cool I'll probably just book a flight with air Asia then, will the rest of the places be affected by the flooding or is coming to the end now? Like through Vietnam Cambodia etc?

#4 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 17:29

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 212

Well rainy season should be coming to end now but weather patterns have been a bit crazy and unpredictable of late so I wouldn't like to make any promises! How long are you planning on taking for the whole circuit? Cambodia, in particular Siem Reap and the surrounding areas, has been pretty badly flooded too but should be OK by the time you get there (providing your trip isn't too whirlwind!).

#5 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 17:40

• lloydjoslin

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Um I kinda havent got a time limit gonna head down south of Thailand when I'm done with the loop of the contries I've mentioned, then fly to oz in the new year, I was just gonna plod along and see all the main sights, following the guide book I guess of things that appeal to me but I'm sick of khao San road and want to move on lol

#6 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 17:47

• lloydjoslin

Joined Travelfish
    20th May, 2011
    Location United Kingdom

Um I kinda havent got a time limit gonna head down south of Thailand when I'm done with the loop of the contries I've mentioned, then fly to oz in the new year, I was just gonna plod along and see all the main sights, following the guide book I guess of things that appeal to me but I'm sick of khao San road and want to move on lol

#7 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 19:25

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

There have been landslides in north Laos the past few weeks that caused delays between Luang Prabang and Vang Vieng (see photo) so you might factor in some extra time for that bus journey. After Vang Vieng things flatten out and you should be ok transport-wise but again if you head somewhere like Hanoi or Sapa via hilly northern terrain it could be dodgy. Hopefully this rainy season will bugger off in the next few weeks.

#8 Posted: 6/10/2011 - 23:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
How to avoid the boozy route? ... By Scarletttttt on 29 Feb 2012 22 1561 4 Mar 2012