Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Planning 1 month in Thailand

• ThaiPrincess

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2011

Hey everyone!

So i've decided to plan a backpacking trip in Thailand for the month of June next year and honestly I have no idea where to begin my travels.

I was hoping I could get a few ideas/ possibly some sample itineraries here?

I'd like to balance my time between Thailand's attractions/ activities and some down time in amazing areas of the country.

I would love to travel as much of the country as I can, however, i'm not sure how much i'll be able to do in one month.

I'd like to keep the trip fairly cheap as well. I'm cool to stay in hostels/ cheap hotels and I would definitely much rather walk or take the public transport from place to place.

I'm also a big adventure-seeker so anything like sports, treks, etc. are definitely welcome in my trip.

Experiencing the culture is also a must, which, i'm sure I can experience a lot of in Thailand's towns and cities.

That's about it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be amazing if you could share!

Thanks! :)

#1 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 20:37

• Advertisement

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

Easy place to start is inside the front few pages of the Lonely Planet travel guide there's a 1 month plan that see's quite a lot of the country.

I am going for just short of a month in January and have this roughly

Bangkok 2-3 days
    Travel to Sokhothai (1 day)
    Chiang Mai 3 days
    Chiang Rai 3 days
    1 Day travel back to BKK
    Day in BKK
    Travel down to ko pha ngan possible day tour of Ko Tao 2-3 days
    Krabi 2 days
    Ko phi pho 2 days
    Khao sok nat park 1 day
    BKK 1 day
    Khao yai nat park 1 day
    Finish at BKK

I am going for 27 days, that adds up to about 23? Gives me some time for travel and if I change my mind cut a place out some where.

I have a bunch of things and places I want to see in each location so know what I would like to do when i get there :)

#2 Posted: 16/10/2011 - 23:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

The key is you know what you want to see and do. You're timeline is a bit busy, but not insane. leave a little flex time at the end like you did - you should be fine. Have a good time.

#3 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 11:37

• Kpawsuh

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

Briareos, sounds like we will be just missing each other. I am in Khao Sok Dec 21 and Ko Tao Dec 29 until Jan 4 or so. There is so much to do, I found that finances drove what all I could do more so than a lack of things to do. Enjoy! My son and I are going to be there for a month as well. I have been told that Khao Sok is not to be missed although 4-5 days will be more than enough. Seems odd as it seems like a great place to hang and explore but we will see.

#4 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 03:27

• Glome

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

Myself and my husband will be going to Thailand for 5 weeks from 27th November. We have a rough idea where we want to go, but no idea for where to go for Christmas/New Year. Do you have any ideas, we are 30, up for a party. One thing that is worrying me is that we haven't booked any hotels (other than 2 nights in BKK when we arrive) is this stupid or will we be able to find places to stay as we move about?

Sorry for tagging on the back of this.

#5 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 19:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

You will be able to find places as you move about - but if you end up going to tourist areas, then best book ahead to get what you want.

#6 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 20:04

• Briareos

Joined Travelfish
    4th August, 2011

I probably have to much in but thats the places I would like to see I already know what I want to do so will no doubt skip a place or two just so its not quite so frantic and stay in some places for longer than I have stated above.

Am planning on spending around £1000 but will have a bit more just incase as I guess travel will be my biggest cost.

Doubt I have planned enough time for the parks so will probably add a day or two to that so I get to see some more.

Hopefully some help Thaiprincess. All I did was google & search here for landmarks, activities to do and based my travel around that.

#7 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 23:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Planning 1-Month in Thailand ... By jippy_7 on 25 Mar 2009 16 9561 30 Mar 2009