Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How soon to book flights from Bangkok - Ko Samui for Christmas?

• alt

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2011

Hi folks,
    We're booked into Ko Phangan for 22nd Dec, staying until 2nd Jan.

How soon should we book flights from Bangkok to Ko Samui? I fear they could book out.

Second question, can anyone recommend a particular Airway? Or a website where we'd get best prices. We're looking at budget flights as it isin't exactly long-haul!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 19:55

• Advertisement

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

If you know your dates I'd look at booking asap as prices will only rise over the busy Christmas period. If you want to fly directly from Bangkok to Ko Samui you're limited to Bangkok Airways who have a monopoly on flights there. Their own website will probably give you as good a price as any.

If budget is more important consider flying to Surat Thani (or even an overnight bus) and catching a ferry, particularly if Ko Phangan is your destination as you can go directly there from Surat Thani. Air Asia are generally a good bet for Surat Thani flights but check out Skyscanner for a comparison of what's around.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 21:42

• cocopops

Joined Travelfish
    16th October, 2011

i expect answer is the same for me.. looking at Bangkok Krabi on dec 27th, to fly or to sleep on the train, havnt decided.. anyone have a view? (i am travelling with 3 kids, thought the train might be an éxperience´)

#3 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 21:56

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 215

Well, I suspect you'll still be able to pick up a fairly cheap Air Asia flight to Krabi a lot cheaper than the fare to Ko Samui ........ As for the train, I guess it depends a lot on how old the kids are. I have no experience of travelling with kids but I was on a train a bit back with a couple who had 2 young kids. They had an upper and a lower berth and their plan was for each of them to have one of the kids in the berth with them but they were not comfortable with having a small child in the top bunk; with the swaying of the train they were worried they might fall out (the top berths are also a bit narrower than the lower ones). Again, depends on their ages but may be something to consider.

#4 Posted: 17/10/2011 - 22:12

• alt

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2011

We've decided we'll fly 'Pattaya' - Samui as we'll be coming from Cambodia anyhow.

3560 baht per person not cheap, but its convenient I guess. When we're done in Phangan we'll be making our way back up the Thai coast over 4 weeks so we'll see plenty then.

We also have our accommodation booked so we're now sorted for Christmas.

We'll worry about what we'll do after Christmas, over the Christmas period... now I just need to concentrate on my trip from Bangkok - Chang Mai - Laos - Vietnam - Cambodia - 'Pattaya' Airport

One question I should ask though... after I come over the Cambodia border, can anyone recommend:
    1) The best way to get to 'Pattaya' Airport
    2) Somewhere to stay over-night the night before. Our flight is at 11am so we'd prefer to stay close-by the night before and just get a quick taxi to the airport the next morning. Have a budget of about $50 US for this over-night accommodation. We would like to stay close to the airport rather than Pattaya

#5 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 04:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

cocopops,

i don't think the train goes to krabi, so you'd need to get off at surat thani or trang or nakhon si thammarat and bus it from there to krabi. if you do decide to take the train, look into booking two adjacent first-class compartments that have a door that opens between them. we did this with friends once on the trang-bangkok sleeper train run and it was great fun and should be a great adventure for you and the kids.

whatever you decide, train or flights, i'd book as soon as your dates are set, as the international new year is a busy travel time in thailand. good luck.

#6 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 10:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
can I book vietnam airlines flights at bangkok airport? ... By lindaparry on 23 Sep 2007 1 4872 23 Sep 2007
HELP!!! Accomodation at Christmas...pre book or book when we get there??? ... By Danyelle on 19 Nov 2010 7 2012 21 Nov 2010
SHOULD I PRE-BOOK FOR CHRISTMAS TRAVEL? ... By mrsdaisypoo on 3 Oct 2007 2 1762 5 Oct 2007
book in advance for christmas ... By pia2am on 11 Aug 2009 7 2464 12 Aug 2009