Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Questions for an Eagle Scout project in Thailand

• Kpawsuh

Joined Travelfish
    11th February, 2011

My 15 yr old son is a Boyscout and working on his Eagle Scout Project, to obtain the highest rank in the Boyscouts. He has to do a project demonstrating his leadership skills that benefits a community or school etc. He has been saving and taking donations, mowing lawns etc trying to save up $3000US (about 90,000 baht) and he and I are travelling to BKK Dec 15th-is for a month of travelling, diving etc. He will be going to three schools, two around Chumphon and one on Ko Tao, and hopes to donate $1000US (30,000 baht) to each school in the form of soccer balls and school supplies. Any thing we should be considering? We are hoping to buy the stuff there, that way we help their economy and give them needed supplies. Are there suffient stores in the Chumphon area? Would credit card be best as I dont want to carry around a wad of cash? Is $1000US going to be too much stuff? We were warned not to just give a school official cash or it will stay with him and not go to help the kids. I am very proud of my son for coming up with this idea, but want to try to make sure it is as succesful as possible. Coming from Alaska and not having travelled outside the US hardly at all, we can use all the help we can get. Thanks

#1 Posted: 18/10/2011 - 04:13

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Hi K,

I think this is a noble idea, but at the same time you'll want to be careful and do your homework before starting this Eagle Project. It is nice to be generous and to help others, but there is a risk when walking into a situation like this of coming across as insensitive. If he hasn't yet, I'd recommend that your son contact the schools he plans to visit and get an idea of what they think they need. It may be soccer balls and the like, but it may be something else entirely.

Has your son selected the schools he will visit yet, and if so, how did he select them? Was it based on perceived need or something else?

Also, my first reaction is that $1000 per school may be too much, and that he'd have a more positive impact spreading this assistance out to more schools and perhaps even other types of organizations. Will you be in Chumphon for the entire month? Perhaps he could use that time to look around and find the places that will most benefit from his generous efforts.

In terms of logistics, your son could always open a checking account (or you on his behalf) with an ATM card that allows him to withdraw cash from the account vis ATMs in Thailand. That way the money sits safely at the bank back home until needed and withdrawn. Good luck.

#2 Posted: 19/10/2011 - 08:41

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.