Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bangkok Flooding

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Hi,

Does anyone know the situation with trains and buses heading from Bangkok to Chiang Mai ? We were planning on travelling to Chiang Mai via train on november 7th. Would it be best to just book a flight?
    Thanks!!

#1 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 10:05

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

#2 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 14:16

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thanks sayadian! :)

#3 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 15:17

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

A lot can happen in 2.5 weeks so either book a flight up to CM in advance or wait until closer to your travel date and check the situation. Flooding on the outskirts of Bangkok is piling up and the pressure will either get released slowly and methodically or else abrupt and catastrophically which could affect major routes in/out of the city. Chances are good though, that by the time of your travels things will be less tense and uncertain, and (fingers crossed) maybe even sort of back to normal again. Trains on the northern line, however, will take weeks to get going again so forget that option.

Follow breaking news on https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ThaiVisaNews
    "Disaster" warning here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/506762-disaster-warning-issued-for-bangkok

#4 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 16:01

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thanks Captain Bob, i think we will wait a week before we book our flights but leaning towards that option. Do you know whether Kanchanaburi is acessible still from bangkok? or are those train lines damaged also? thanks

#5 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 17:04

• misplcednot-
    lost

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2011
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 3

The train to Kanchanaburi is running normally, and isn't flooded at all!

#6 Posted: 21/10/2011 - 18:29

• FollowMe

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

As others mentioned. But I would like to ad that if you go on the night train just book a flight instead. Its only a few hundred baht more expensive and you save yourself 12 hours of traveling on the train..

#7 Posted: 22/10/2011 - 19:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Regarding the Bangkok flooding situation, we've been having our two Bangkok writers give a daily update along with other news wraps. You can follow the updates here.

#8 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 06:08

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

#9 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 20:18

• joenerf

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

I'm reading at CNN that flood waters have reached Don Muang Airport. Obviously most flights arrive via Suvarnabhumi airport, so I'm guessing this is not a major problem for tourists arriving in Bangkok. Or is it?

I'm reading the blog's posted above, but I was really hoping that someone in Bangkok could give a first hand account and perhaps summary?

Is the worst to come, or have we seen the worst already? Is there any reason to cancel an international flight into Bangkok, right now, or in the forseeable future?

How are the Silom area hotels? Any flooding concern there?

Could someone give an update?

#10 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 01:39

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

relative uploaded a pic of himself wading through waist-deep waters yest aftn in Rangsit to deliver supplies to grandma who refuses to evacuate. said that Future Park Rangsit was already affected though he didn't say how deep. & today's news says Zeer Rangsit (mall south of Future Park, ~2-4km north of Don Meuang airport) is affected.

maybe not so good idea to book domestic flights with airlines that operate out of Don Meuang (e.g. Nok Air, certain flights by Thai Airways) for now. AirAsia uses Suvarnabhumi. even if Don Meuang airport is operational, bear in mind that getting there might take more time if the ground level roads leading to/past this airport are affected, leading to heavier traffic on the elevated toll road access to it.

#11 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 08:19

• FollowMe

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2011

Domestic Flights will be re-directed in the worse case scenario. At the minute Bangkok Centre incl. Silom and all other centre districts are perfectly fine. The only thing to watch out for now is the "King Tide" that is coming in the next 2 days. This would mean that the Ocean's Hi Tide will prevent water from streaming downwards thus Bangkok will be at High risk for those 2 days.
    At the minute its business as usual just very very quiet on the streets in central Bangkok.

#12 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 08:30

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Nok Air is canceling flights until Nov 1; today's flights are being rerouted to Suvarnabhumi Airport - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501712_162-20125052/flood-waters-enter-bangkoks-second-airport/

#13 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 12:33

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/263106/don-muang-airport-closed
    Don Meuang airport closed from 7pm today (25 Oct 2011).

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/263101/southern-don-muang-flooded
    Flood Relief Operations Command (Froc) has warned people working at Don Mueang International Airport to move out of the airport building's ground floor, which is being flooded.
    (snip)
    Meanwhile, traffic around the airport is congested because many motorists have driven their vehicles to the airport in the hope of saving them from the floodwaters.
    Passengers on commercial airline flights that have landed at Don Mueang airport have been stranded inside the terminal as taxis have avoided entering the flooded airport.

#10: prob need a crystal ball in order to answer some of your questions...
    really depends on how the flood barriers hold up, particularly those in northern BKK. anyone's guess. from this map, you can see how most of central BKK (i.e. the tourist areas) is low-lying & relying on the floor barrier system to keep dry.

#14 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 16:51

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've just added a new update to the blog which you can read in full here. I can sum it up though by saying:

"At this point, Travelfish.org recommends that travellers to Bangkok consider carefully if they want to be here right now. Central Bangkok isn't underwater now, and it might not be, ever. If you are keen to see and experience Bangkok, it is currently open and ready for exploring. Take precautions and monitor the situation, and be flexible and ready to move on (quickly, and without burdening already overstretched local emergency services), if the situation dictates. "

We've got another update coming later tonight I believe.

#15 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 18:38

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

hi! just spent 6 days in central bangkok and no problems at all with flooding. was going to get the bus to chiang mai but advice at the time wad that the routes were flooded, buses could still get thru with a diversion but taking about 10 hours. about three days before leaving bangkok we booked flights on bangkok air (very nice btw) for 35 pounds each for hour flight.

#16 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 20:22

• le1979

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

(cont) sorry stupid phone. so my advice would be to watch and wait. don't fret about it just yet and wait to see what it is like when u get here. things change really quickly but thailand is very easy and cheap to ttavel in. good luck!

#17 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 20:27

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

updates on here have been great especially instead of the rubbish being put out by the government. The messages have just been too positive and unrealistic. thats why it worries me when they sound so positive Suvarnabhumi airport wont flood. i want to believe them and stay positive that ill be able to arrive on the 29th but.....

#18 Posted: 25/10/2011 - 23:38

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

further to my post in #11...grandma has agreed to evacuate...i take that as a sign...relatives expect the floodwaters that have reached Don Meuang to continue south & reach Kasetsart University/Central Ladprao area maybe Thursday. Central Ladprao is at the northeastern end of Chatuchak Park, ~2km as the crow flies from Mo Chit 2 bus terminal (for buses to the north & northeast) & also Chatuchak Market. this area is really low-lying: http://bkkbaseface.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/flood_annotated.jpg

in the above map link you can see how Suvarnabhumi airport is in a low-lying area outside of the flood barrier system protecting BKK. there's a major canal running just north of it too. think there are plans to shift flights to U-Tapao airport near Pattaya if Suvarnabhumi is ever affected. thanks to the yellow shirts, airport & airline staff have already had a dry run (pun intended) for moving airport operations to U-Tapao so hopefully it won't be messy.

the worry for the unaffected areas of BKK = shortage of clean drinking water. many homes in BKK (& other Thai cities/towns) get their drinking water by a home delivery system, & with the current situation it's difficult for the delivery companies to cope with demand & reach their customers.

#19 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 08:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

The northern train line from Bangkok to Chiang Mai is now closed. All northbound trains are cancelled.

We're waiting for an entry from one of our Bangkok writers at the moment, but our advice, specifically for Bangkok alone, is that if you do not have a good reason to remain in the city, you need to leave. As soon as possible.

Get a bus or get a domestic flight out.

#20 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 08:12

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

do expect delays in bus travel as buses might have to use alternative routes to get out of BKK & bypass the flooded areas.

a reliable bus company serving the north & some destinations in the northeast - Nakhonchai Air:
    http://www.nca.co.th/runway.php
    http://www.facebook.com/nakhonchaiairpages (can't access facebook now, will check later to see if any useful info)

another reliable bus company (Sombat Tour) has posted the alternative routes it is using to avoid the flooded areas: http://www.sombattour.com/html/route.php
    might be useful for those living & driving in Thailand, but it's in Thai only.
    first map = BKK > Nakhon Pathom > Suphanburi > Nakhon Sawan > Tak > Lampang

second map = Phitsanulok > Phayao & Chiangrai (blue line), Lampang & Chiangmai (yellow line), Nan & Thung Chang (green line)

third map = route out of BKK to avoid flooded part of Pathum Thani province (don't know if this route is still unaffected at this point in time though - it passes through Sai Mai district)

fourth map = route through Singburi province

fifth map = route through Ang Thong province

sixth map = Phichit > Phitsanulok > Tak (on to Mae Hong Son)

#21 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 08:40

• sjale4

Joined Travelfish
    19th September, 2011

Thank you so much for all your informative information, this website has been the best in both planning our trip and also with information about the floods!! We are currently on the verge of booking flights straight to chiang mai from bangkok airport, so skipping bangkok entirly. However, im not sure if anyone knows how acessible Kanchanaburi is from the airport? We were planning on spending some time here inbetween our time in bangkok. I have read on some travel sites that Kanchanaburi is not affected by floods at all. Any info would be greatly appreciated [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks!!!

#22 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 14:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

More info for those in Bangkok looking to get out.

Domestic flight availability is becoming a bit of an issue and I read earlier today that THAI were considering reducing the number of domestic flights due to staff shortages.

If you're not too fussed where you go, the following may be handy as they'll indicate flight availability and price to various destinations. It's via the smart cookies at Adioso and they've speed up the update rate to try to keep Bangkok flights as up to date as possible.

BKK to anywhere October 27
    BKK to anywhere October 28
    BKK to anywhere this week

Hope that helps!

#23 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 14:37

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

26 Oct 2011:
    - parts of Chinatown (Samphanthawong/Sam Pheng & Talad Noi) flooded this morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fNikHd_hSo
    - trains to the south will start from Nakhon Pathom station instead of Hualomphong station: http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=%20963 (in Thai)
    - Chatuchak weekend market will be closed 28-30 Oct 2011

#24 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 17:54

• ChowChow

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2011

Currently in Bangkok City and everything is ok.

Anyone know if it's planning on getting worse? Due to fly internationally Friday night out of Bangkok.

Will getting to airport etc be ok?

#25 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 23:58

• ehenness

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011
    Location Canada

Just out of interest to the OP. I arrived in Bangkok from Chiang Mai this morning (Oct. 27th) by bus (Sombat tour). The trip took only 10 hours despite reports of it possibly taking up to 18. There was heavy flooding in the north of the city (motorways are full of stuck parked cars) and some people using boats to get around. The big bus was able to get through the water okay. I'm not sure if we took a diverted route or not as we arrived in BKK way earlier than anticipated (and some of the highways were a bit wet :s)

However, I am now staying near Soi Rambuttri and many shops/guesthouses in the area are preparing for the eventuality that it may flood. Sandbags being piled in front of doors etc. I would leave but my flight home is out of Suvarnabhumi on Monday :(

#26 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 10:19

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#27 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 10:35

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#26:
    how crowded was Mo Chit 2 bus terminal when you arrived in BKK?

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/263432/froc-advises-people-to-leave-bangkok

those flying out of BKK these few days - best to check-in online in case there might be longer than usual queues at Suvarnabhumi.

unconfirmed - if Chatuchak area floods >50cm, bus services from Mo Chit 2 (northern) bus terminal will shift to the southern bus terminal. floodwaters have gone past Don Meuang to Lak Si, this photo was taken roughly 8km north of Chatuchak weekend market: http://twitter.com/#!/Reporter_js4/status/129417438608633857/photo/1

Sanam Luang - Wat Mahathat - Tha Prachan area (by the river, in between Grand Palace & Thammasat University main campus) is flooding a bit (flood level in Rangsit north of Don Meuang is now 1.5m, so anything below knee-height is 'a bit').

#28 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 12:15

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Mo Chit 2 (northern) bus terminal situation: http://thainews.prd.go.th/en/news.php?id=255410270006

photos in & around Grand Palace, BKK: http://thaitvnews.blogspot.com/2011/10/2754_26.html

#29 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 14:13

• KirstyB

Click here to learn more about KirstyB
    Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 197

@ wanderingcat - I just spoke to someone who said their brother in law has been queuing for over 6 hours to get on a bus out of Mo Chit, going north. Sounds busy .........

#30 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 14:33

• Geezy

Joined Travelfish
    27th July, 2009

Does anybody know how Banglamphu is affected? Especially around Samsen Road, Soi 4-6?

I met some really lovely Thai people there last week and i feel absolutely horrible for them if they are flooded out! This is horrible

#31 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 16:25

• ehenness

Joined Travelfish
    22nd March, 2011
    Location Canada

I didn't see the situation at Mo Chit as Sombat tour had their own terminal to drop you off at which was about a typical level of busy-ness for a bus station. However, in Chiang Mai the buses coming in from BKK were packed.

I'm Canadian and for those worrying about travel insurance and such DFAIT has issued a warning now against non-essential travel to BKK only as they believe it is a matter of time until the whole city floods. If you travel anyway to BKK this may invalidate your insurance.

I've heard parts of Banglamphu are flooded but where I am I only see people preparing with sandbags, barriers on doors, buying up water/food at 7/11 etc. If you are arriving from another city to Bangkok I would recommend bringing water with you as it is getting tricky to come by here.

#32 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 17:15

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#30: thank you.

#31: not far from soi 4-6 section of Samsen Rd - http://twitter.com/#!/mlapalme/status/129510139077201920/photo/1

#32: sorry i just remembered that the arrival & departure areas in Mo Chit 2 bus terminal are separated such that you won't be able to see the other unless you walk all the way over (past the local bus terminal & the little market area). Sombat Tour uses the same bus terminal AFAIK, only Nakhonchai Air has a separate terminal. thank you for the CM update.

#33 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 18:27

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

update to #24:
    28 Oct 2011 - State Railway of Thailand has cancelled all train services from Bangkok to the south.
    http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=966 (in Thai only)
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/SRT-cancels-south-bound-train-services-30168782.html (thanks Capt Bob)

Photo of flooded tracks near Bangbamru in western Bangkok:
    http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=963

#34 Posted: 28/10/2011 - 22:30

• joenerf

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

I just wanted to double check that Suvarnabhum Airport is still functioning fairly normally and is dry?

Everything I have read indicates its OK, and no issues there yet. I've also noted from tweets that road to Suvarnabhum Airport from Bangkok centre are fairly dry still and no issues getting to and from the airport and Bangkok centre.

Can someone there confirm this for me?

I land in Suvarnabhum Airport on November 7th early in the morning, and I'm starting to think I might not alter my plans (at least not yet). I'm only in Bangkok for 2 and a half days, and it appears the worst will be over by then, so I'm not changing plans. Unless someone there really thinks that in over a week things will be even worse?

#35 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 05:38

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yup, as of this morning the airport was still in business. I wouldn't be changing your specific plans just yet.

#36 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 05:51

• SlangDog

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2011

Hello. If anyone has been to Mo Chit today please could you let me know if it's likely I can get a bus to Sukhothai. I understand there will be a lot of waiting. I'm heading for Bangkok from Krabi today - hopefully not a completely ridiculous thing to do, and will probably try get across town tomorrow morning when we arrive.

#37 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 07:23

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#37:
    that person would have to go queue in the crowds & ask at the counters of various companies that serve that route...

why don't you get someone at your guesthouse/hotel who speaks Thai to call the bus company? phone no.s for 2 companies...
    Transport Co.: http://61.19.247.102/~transport/timetable01_north.php (2nd line of black font above 'update 02/06/54')
    Win Tour: http://sukhothaiwintour.com/contact-us.html

btw if you cannot get a BKK-Sukhothai direct bus you could try getting a bus to another city along the way (e.g. Phitsanulok) & then transfer there. local buses between adjacent province capitals tend to be very frequent.

#38 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 08:49

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The northern line trains are running on a limited basis as of yesterday, with only daytime "sprinter" no sleeper/overnight yet and they are using a detour route until things improve.
    http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Northern-train-services-back-on-track-30168840.html

#39 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 13:11

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Sun 30 Oct 2011 update:
    appears that SRT has resumed train services to the south. however, once again trains will start/end at Nakhon Pathom instead of Bangkok because of flooding along the tracks in western Bangkok. for details of the bus service between Bangkok & Nakhon Pathom for train passengers, call the SRT hotline 1690 (24h).

you could get someone who reads Thai to check SRT's latest updates on facebook & twitter (sometimes updated more quickly than their website):
    https://www.facebook.com/pr.railway.srt
    @prrailwaysrt

http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=969 (in Thai only, hope someone with better Thai can help translate)

trains to/from the northeast & east (incl Aranyaprathet) are still running. again be prepared for delays as trains to the north (& i think the northeast too?) are rerouted to use the same tracks to get out of/into Bangkok via Makkasan & Hua Mark.

#40 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 13:11

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

update to #40:
    an indication of how quickly the situation changes. 5 hours later, SRT has decided to cancel today's trains to the south departing from Bangkok at/after 3:35pm:
    http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=+971

#41 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 13:52

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Can also follow developments on https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/thairailticket
    (click "Translate" for the rough English version - sometimes very funny) or use http://translate.google.com

#42 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 14:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Have just added the update for today -- seems Bangkok itself may well have dodged a bullet (at the expense of swathes of land to the north). Our flooding update is here.

#43 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 20:22

• SlangDog

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2011

An update on buses if anyone is looking for information:

Arrived at Southern Terminal from Krabi this morning. There was a lot of water in the area, not too deep though, no problem for the bus. Caught public buses from there to Mo Chit with no problem. Central Bangkok seemed unaffected when I was there.

Mo Chit wasn't busy, got a ticket to Sukhothai in a few minutes with no waiting around.

Took two hours to leave Bangkok, it was really terrible to see the extent of the flood in the northern parts of the city, didn't realise the level of the flooding before I saw it. Hopefully things improve quickly for the people who live and have shops there.

#44 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 21:30

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

31 Oct 2011:
    Bangkok southern bus terminal will be closed from 6pm today due to the floods: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/264048/southern-bus-terminal-closed

Transport Co. bus services to/from the south will shift to Holland Beer Hall along Rama 2 Road for the time being. This is next to the Rama 2 branch of Central Plaza shopping mall, opposite the Big C supermarket in Bang Khun Thian, Thonburi - map here: http://g.co/maps/aphq8

#45 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 15:55

• joenerf

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

Any ATM issues in the tourist areas of Bangkok or the airport because of the flood?

I was trying to decide how much Thai Baht to bring with me to Thailand. I'm worried that I will get there and be unable to get money out of the ATM's. Has anyone had troubles with ATM's being empty in the Silom area or airport?

Are there ATM's at the airport?

#46 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 00:40

• thanuhak

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2011

#47 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 17:06

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#46:
    so far no reports of such problems. most tourist areas still fine.
    of course there are ATMs in the airport.

02 Nov 2011 update:
    those intending to travel to the north/northeast by bus, please check for updates just in case Mo Chit 2 bus terminal has to close at a short notice.
    floodwaters that went past Don Meuang have continued spreading south towards Chatuchak. still below knee level (about calf-depth) about 2-3km north of Central Ladprao, Paholyonthin MRT station & Mo Chit 2 (northern) bus terminal. nearby Safari World has already evacuated its animals (wonder if they used an ark :P). Chatuchak weekend market might become a floating market by this weekend.

#48 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 17:37

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

10 Nov 2011

http://nationmultimedia.com/national/Buses-to-North-Northeast-continue-30169596.html

Despite flooding, Transport Co has continued providing bus services to the North and the Northeast from Bangkok's Mor Chit 2 bus terminal.

The bus services will be available until flooding makes it impossible. Transport Co has already set up two back-up stations at Pathum Thani's Pratunam-Phra In for buses heading North and Suvarnabhumi Airport for those heading to the Northeast until November 20.

http://nationmultimedia.com/national/Two-routes-to-be-ready-in-lieu-of-Rama-II-30169602.html

Two alternative routes heading to the South are expected to be fully salvaged by Saturday to be used in place of Rama II Road that would hardly escape inundation, Transport Ministry permanent secretary Suphoj Saplom said yesterday.

Route 340 (Bang Bua Thong-Suphan Buri) is now partly flooded, covering a distance of about 27 kilometres of the entire length of 189km. The lowest section is one metre below the mean sea level between km markers 15-19.

Flood barriers, comprising large rubber jars and round concrete pipes, are being built along all inundated sections before flood water is pumped out, he said.

After Route 340 and Route 346 - Lat Lum Kaew-Kamphaeng Saen - are fully dried, motorists will be advised to use both roads, together with a Western Outer Ring Road section which is now flooded but is being recovered, to form a road network in place of Rama II.

#49 Posted: 9/11/2011 - 19:15

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Coming out of Bangkok last week (was at the annual Salsa festival - great time) I got caught in Mo Chit. Had to wade through about 2 feet of water and then hope a motorbike taxi which had to drive through two feet of water. It pretty much sucked and I was soaked, but I made it to the bus station, changed my clothes, and got home OK. It wasn't a big deal. It sucks for those whose homes and businesses have been flooded of course. Thai Army was Johnny on the Spot delivering food and clean water and providing transportation to people out of the flooded areas.

#50 Posted: 10/11/2011 - 22:18

• AbgAcid

Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Total reviews: 21

Any more news update of bangkok. Is the southern line train from gets to Bangkok Hualamphong Station as normal? Tq

Acid

#51 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 09:43

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=%20990 (Thai)
    http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1 (English)
    https://www.facebook.com/thairailticket?sk=wall

trains to/from northeast:
    some of the train services on the northeast line are now affected.
    on Fri 11 Nov, some of the trains to/from Ubon Ratchathani & Surin were cancelled, & some of the trains to/from these 2 places plus Nong Khai were delayed for as long as 5-7.5 hours.
    on both 12 & 13 Nov, #141 & 142 (to/from Ubon) & #233 & 234 (to/from Surin) were cancelled

trains to/from the south:
    SRT announced that #35, 37, 43, 83, 169 & 171 are running, still departing from Nakhon Pathom instead of BKK. however the #83 & 169 trains on 13 Nov were cancelled (according to their online train tracking system).

trains to/from the north:
    #1, #2, #9 & #12 are running, rerouted through Makkasan, Hua Mark & Chachoengsao.

trains to/from the east:
    trains to/from Aranyaprathet still running.

for trains to/from the south & west (Kanchanaburi, etc), details of the bus service provided by SRT: http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=%20991
    #261 BKK to Nakhon Pathom - depart 8:30am
    #952 Nakhon Pathom to BKK - depart 2:00pm
    #355 BKK to Nong Pla Duk junction (Ratchaburi) - depart 4:40pm
    #356 Nong Pla Duk junction to BKK - depart 6:04am
    (subject to change so please call SRT to check for latest info)

flash flood warnings for 5 provinces in the south: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/265941/warning-of-flash-floods-in-south

sometimes i might not update here but on this thread instead: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2121394

#52 Posted: 13/11/2011 - 11:50

• Helze66

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2008

Does anyone know if the train from Udon Thani to Bangkok is still going for the moment? We booked a ticket but are seriously doubting if it will be going...

#53 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 08:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think all the trains are running right now. flood waters are receding. But you might want to call in to be sure.

#54 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 11:17

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#55 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 11:59

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

26 Nov 2011 SRT announcement on train services to north & northeast:
    http://www.railway.co.th/srt/pr/news/viewshownews.asp?idnews=%201022 (Thai only)

trains heading north & northeast no longer have to detour through east BKK to Chachoengsao. they will travel by the usual Hualomphong > Sam Sen > Bang Sue > Lak Si > Don Muang route (though some parts of the tracks are still flooded, but presumably shallow enough for the train to pass).

the 2 tables show which train services are running for now:
    - upper table = northern line
    - lower table = northeastern line
    - columns (L-R) = outbound from BKK, dept time from BKK, inbound from north/northeastern towns (returning to BKK), dept time from north/northeastern towns
    - match train no.s in the tables with those in the train timetables to figure out where they're going
    - e.g. upper table 1st row = special express #9 BKK to Chiangmai dept 8:40am & ordinary #212 Taphan Hin (Phichit) to BKK dept 5:30am

the headline in the article linked in #55 gave the impression that all trains on the northern & northeastern lines had resumed, but doesn't seem to be the case e.g. trains #3 BKK to Sila-at (Uttaradit), #11 & #51 BKK to Chiangmai are still not running. appears that 'back to normal' only means that the trains no longer have to detour & have resumed the normal route?

#56 Posted: 27/11/2011 - 19:25

• anordinaryjo

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2011

Amazing that people are still going to Bangkok now, in spite of the potential dangers there from the months of heavy flooding. A city of 10 million people many parts of which have been under more than a meter of water for months, sewage backing up into the street, garbage in that city which normally produces 8,000 tons of waste daily uncollected, all cooking in the 95degree plus heat, can produce some of the scariest diseases know to man. Already there are reports of people infected with leptospirosis, a bacterial infection spread in water contaminated with rat urine. Google Bangkok disease flooding to get even a small idea of how bad it is, and it may only get worse, as they have no idea how long it will take to clean up, and the floodwaters are still coming. Add to all that the crocodiles, king cobras, green mambas, and various poisonous vipers that all floated out of the many tourist attraction animal farms now swimming around in the water filled streets, and you have a recipe for a true nightmare holiday. As to Chiang Mai, where the flooding began, I don't know the status of the cleanup, as the gov't here's always exactly forthcoming with any bad news that affects tourism, as their history with SARS, bird flu showed clearly. The last thing Thailand needs is people coming here unawares, catching some horrible disease, and bringing that contagion to other countries.

#57 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 01:24

• joenerf

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2011

^ After reading that post by Anordinaryjo, I'm terrified to go to Bangkok!

... At least, I would have been if it wasn't for the fact that I just returned from Bangkok after spending 4 days there, and I wasn't the slight bit inconvenienced by the flood. In fact, I would not have known there was any flooding had it not been for the shops with sandbags outside their buildings. I don't know what "normal" is for Bangkok, but everything sure seemed normal there to me.

Perhaps its not the best time to go there if you want to explore every back ally, but if you plan on just using Bangkok for a hub, or if you just want to see the "big-ticket" tourist attractions of the city. I would not think twice about going to Bangkok.

#58 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 11:19

• anordinaryjo

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2011

Because of the Leptospirosis disease that is in the water now, you don't want any flood waters touching any broken skin, or mucous membranes in/on your body, or you could contract that disease. It has an up to 20 day incubation period, before you show symptoms, so I hope you're good Joe.
    Since, according to The Nation newspaper yesterday, the World Bank said that the cleanup, (once the flooding stops next year), will cost $25 billion, there's been almost 700 reported deaths, cases of Leptospirosis already reported, and the now growing and looming large mosquito problem with it's accompanying Dengue Fever issue, (Wall Street Journal yesterday) this flooding debacle is more than a wee bit not normal. Keep in mind, mosquitoes don't know the difference between a tourist area and a back alley. If you're determined to risk coming here, please do so with your eyes wide open, know the facts!!!!!

#59 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 21:39

• thaiunderwa-
    ter

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2011

Hey guys,
    great to see that people are still interested in what's going on during the floods. If you want to make a contribution, here is our page for donations. We don't make any profit of it, it's just information where you can donate - Red cross and many other organisations. Thanks for your help!
    http://on.fb.me/t2w7Ed

#60 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 21:31

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.