Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Chang to Sihanoukville?

• akhut

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2006

Tips on the easiest way to get from Ko Chang or Trat to Sihanoukville?? I think that there is a border crossing area at Hat Lek. So would the easiest by be by land from Trat to Hat Lek? Or is there a way by boat from Ko Chang to Sihanoukville? Any advice or help would be much appreciated! Thank you!!

#1 Posted: 15/2/2007 - 05:17

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Minibus from Trat to the border (Hat Lek), then motorbike from border to Ko Kong, then overnight and ferry to Sanookyville.

#2 Posted: 15/2/2007 - 21:24

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You can get a bus from Laem Ngop to the bus station in Trat, and from there buses run to Had Lek (on the buses the signs say "Cambodian Border"). No idea how often these run, but I would think they run fairly often. I think this bus service is about as new as the bus station (less than 1 year).

As mentioned above, minivans run from Trat, from the market area. I like overnighting in Trat and heading for the border early in the morning. You'll make the ferry from Koh Kong if you leave at around 6:00.

Having said that, I've never stayed overnight in Koh Kong. But Trat's night market food is worth staying for, and there are lots of good, cheap guest houses in town, all within a very short walking distance to the market and songthaew and minivan stands.

#3 Posted: 16/2/2007 - 22:06

• smellel

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2009

Hi,

We just did this trip yesterday so here is an update - nothing much has changed.

Tried to get on the 8.30am ferry from Koh Chang but the public taxi got us there as the ferry was leaving - we did 2 laps of White Sands beach on the way so he could get more passengers but the public taxi is 50B compared to 400B for a private taxi.

From Laem Ngrob Centre Point ferry there were share taxis waiting to go to Trat and other close places. Get off the ferry first as they dont seem to send down enough taxis. Taxi to Trat bus station was again 50B each.

At Trat bus station you get hassled by private taxi drivers offering taxis to Hat Lek, they started at 400B so if there a few of you, maybe an option. Otherwise the puiblic mini van leaves from the end of the bus station. It has a sign, or the information desk is quite helpful. Costs 120B per person.

Arriving at the border is where the fun starts. You are hassled by people on thai side trying to take your bag and passport through departures, then once over the border by Cambodians trying to do all your paperwork for you. I'm not sure if they want a tip, or are just trying to get you to their accommodation, but its easy to do by yourself. Cambodian border officials still only accept 1200B per person, not dollars or riel and make a nice tip from your paperwork.

Once through visa its hard to find any transport not seemingly connected to taxi "mafia" we got down to 200B inc bridge toll to Krong Ko Kong bus station, but then we ended up going with the same guy all the way to Sihanoukville for 1000B per person (3 in taxi) so still not sure if we were stooged by one of our fellow taxi passengers.

Drive to Sihanoukville very nice for 1st hour or so - if in a group you could get some good photo opportunities of he jungle and rivers and water buffalo etc. Our driver flew all the way and we made it in about 3hrs.

Arrived in Sihanoukville about 5pm, in time for wandering around for accom and dinner. Long day, but doable.

el
    :)

#4 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 08:59

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I've never encountered any 'taxi mafia'in Koh Kong. You can easily get a motodop to take you to KK for 80 baht.
    The people who hassle you on 'the Thai side'are Khmer not Thai most of them are harmless and will carry your bag for 2000 real or fill in your form. Do they think we are all illiterate in the West?
    The 1200 baht visa is a national disgrace and major shame on Cambodia but it's really hard to get rid of these a***holes.

#5 Posted: 13/3/2010 - 13:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.