Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Lanta a good place?

• TinaAndJanne

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Hi,
    My boyfriend and I were planning on traveling around SEA for three months, starting with Bali, where we are now. Unfortunately I am in hospital in Denpasar for pneumonia, so our plans are a bit turned upside down....

We are now thinking that instead of traveling around, we should stay in one place for a month or so so that I can rest and get well. We have been looking around a bit, and thought that Koh Lanta might be a good place.

I want to be near a hospital should I become ill again, we want peace and quite (i.e. not a party place) but at the same time there should be things to do during daytime apart from laying on the beach (yoga, tennis, art lessons, cooking class....).

Could Koh Lanta be a good place to stay for us?

Regards, Tina

#1 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 19:51

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Yes I think it's a good idea...

"Emergency medical services are available on Lanta. The first port of call, if you are staying on Khlong Dao, Long Beach or Baan Phruklom Beach, is the Saladan Health Centre in Saladan (T: 075 668 170). The nurses speak English and can deal with most minor medical emergencies. Service is available round the clock, but if anything major should happen then the hospital in Lanta Old town should be contacted. Koh Lanta Hospital (T: 075 697 100) is larger and better equipped. The hospital is also more accessible for those staying in beaches south of Baan Phruklom."

#2 Posted: 23/10/2011 - 21:39

• TinaAndJanne

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. It might well be the place for us. We are leaving Bali tommorrow, so we have to decide quickly.
    /Tina

#3 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 10:35

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

On Lanta...
    yoga and cooking class = yes, after some hunting around
    art lessons = unlikely, but again maybe if you comb the island
    tennis = maybe if you stay at a one of the few posh resorts, otherwise no.

Lanta is not really an activity-driven travel destination, except for dive and snorkel trips. Otherwise the agenda is pretty much sand and swimming, sunset beers and seafood restaurants. When that gets old you can scooter around the island to visit the old port town and the sea gypsy village, and check out a cave or a waterfall. It might suit most of your needs, but it's a big relatively quiet island so non-beach activites can be few and far from reach.

I usually stay at Lanta Palm Beach Bungalows on Ao Phra Ae (aka "Long Beach") which is less busy than Khlong Dao but still close enough by scooter to Saladan (town) if you need supplies, and there is a sprinkling of beach bars and restaurants nearby. This time of year you can probably negotiate a room discount then stay in one of the solid-wall fan units or splash out for aircon if it's in your budget. See http://laantapalmbeach.com/#map

#4 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 11:23

• pudgimelon

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2011

My friends own a resort on Lanta, it's very nice. Check it out at: http://www.lalaanta.com

However, they are the absolutely last resort on the southern tip of the island, so they may not meet your requirement of being near a hospital (although on the other hand, they are next to the national park, so it's very relaxing and peaceful there).

Lanta is by far one of the nicest islands you can find in Thailand. Not over-developed like god-awful Phuket, but not primitive/shabby like some of the "backpacker" islands either.

Most resorts on the island are clean, family-run establishments with decent facilities. You'll enjoy your stay there, I'm sure.

#5 Posted: 24/10/2011 - 15:27

• TinaAndJanne

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Hey guys, thanks for your answers!
    We had to make a quick decision on where to go after Bali, so we decided on Koh Lanta. We have now been here for three days and are renting a house for a month.

It´s definately quite. I found a yoga place near to where we are staying, and also cooking classes. There are tennis courts, but no tennis teacher.... but maybe we might find someone to play with:-) We are going to rent a scooter one day to take a trip around the island, maybe go snorkeling one day.

I know we need to take it easy for a while to get strong again after the pneumonia..... but right now we are a little understimulated and bored, ha ha!

Anyways, the beaches seem really nice and the sunset is gorgeuos! And the food is cheap and absolutely the best so far on our trip. So, we´re ok:) Guess we just need to learn the art of doing nothing....

#6 Posted: 30/10/2011 - 20:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Good place to visit (3 days) after a week in Koh Lanta ... By elisekn on 3 Feb 2011 2 2357 3 Feb 2011