Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which Thai Beach to Bum Around On?

• ekumbier

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2011

Hi,

My friends and I (ages 25-26) will be traveling through India and Southeast Asia for 3-4 months from March to June. We will go to India first and plan to arrive in Thailand in mid April. I was wondering what beach would best suit our interests and if anyone had any recommendations for accommodation (we prefer a clean budget option).

After doing some research Krabi looks absolutely gorgeous, as does Ko Phi Phi . One of us has been to Ko Phangan and loved it. We are looking for something social and fun with good scuba diving and scenery, but not something overly developed. We loved the Gili Islands in Indonesia, but hated the Kuta/Legion strip on Bali. I'm inclined to say Ko Phi Phi would satisfy our needs, but have read some negative things about all the development there. Railei also looks gorgeous, but seemed expensive.

One final concern is weather. I think we beat the wet season on the Indian Ocean side, but not by that much. Is there a risk of flooding in these areas in mid-late April?

#1 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 14:22

• Advertisement

• frasmc

Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2005
    Total reviews: 3

Ko Pha Ngan has more of a backpacker feel than Samui, and plenty of different beaches to suit many different scenes (some very laidback, some big parties, etc). On the Andaman side Ko Lanta has great beaches, great diving, is cheaper than Railay, and less developed than Ko Phi Phi with a lot more space to explore.

#2 Posted: 26/10/2011 - 23:29

• ekumbier

Joined Travelfish
    17th July, 2011

Thanks for the reply! Hin Daeng and Hin Muang look like superb dive sites. Are they suitable for beginners?

Time is not a huge issue for us. Would you recommend spending a few days on Phi Phi then heading to Ko Lanta for a week or so? Is there anywhere on Lanta you would recommend staying?

#3 Posted: 27/10/2011 - 13:29

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I agree with frasmc. If you want something overly developed then I would not recommend Phi Phi. I was there 4 years ago and could not believe it. I don't even want to think about what it is like today.

The Andaman is better for diving than the Gulf coast and there will be no rain in April. Actually April is summer in Thailand so it is extremely hot. Lanta may be a good choice for you. But I am inclined to send you Koh Phangan as it will probably most suit your budget. And there is plenty to do there including diving.

#4 Posted: 29/10/2011 - 08:19

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.