Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Flooding in Sukothai? In Bangkok now hoping to leave tomorrow.

Posted by Organicjerk on 26/10/2011 at 14:52

Hello all,

Does anyone know what the situation in Sukothai is now? I have been looking online and found some notes about flooding in August, but nothing more recent.

Also, does anyone recommend a bus for getting there? I'm to understand the trains are still down for the count?

Im at my hotel and I was hoping to check out and be on my way tomorrow. Is this possible?

Thanks,
O

#1 Organicjerk has been a member since 29/5/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by Organicjerk on 26/10/2011 at 19:17

Nevermind. I didn't realize how dire the situation was. I'm in Chinatown and half the people are boarding up, while half are acting like nothings wrong. I've talked to 3 sets of westerners who couldn't care less about the whole thing.

I think I'll follow the wind of caution here and head straight for Chiang Mai...

#2 Organicjerk has been a member since 29/5/2011. Posts: 6

Posted by wanderingcat on 26/10/2011 at 20:14

minor flooding does occur every rainy season in areas near the river/certain canals in BKK. that's why some BKK residents don't think that they should worry too much, & it can be hard to drive home the message to some (esp older relatives) that things are on a much larger scale this time round.

where else in Thailand do you plan to visit apart from Sukhothai? could work out an itinerary from Chiangmai or even Chiangrai (if BKK > CNX flights/buses are full).

#3 wanderingcat has been a member since 21/10/2006. Posts: 730
 Where has wanderingcat been?   Website 

Posted by Tilapia on 26/10/2011 at 20:46

The Google Maps Thailand Flooding map shows that Sukhothai was flooded. If it's still in bad shape you might try Si Satchanalai. It's further north and, according to the map above, out of the flood zone. The ruins are much better, as well.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.