Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Beach Swimming and Security

• abh1128

Joined Travelfish
    1st February, 2007

I am planning to do as much snorkeling & swimming as I can while in Thailand & am wondering about security precautions when staying in a sweet hut. Do they all have hotel safes? I'm going to have a money belt, camera, passport and need some ideas of how to enjoy the waves, yet not put my valuables at risk. Thanks all,

Anne

#1 Posted: 16/2/2007 - 10:50

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Anne,

Most places will have some form of "safety box" depending on the place it may be a proper safe, in other cases just a locked drawer. Sometimes there's even a safe in the room, though that is rare in budget places.

There should be no problem leaving passport and money belt with staff in the safe/drawer, but they may baulk at taking your camera -- if only because it is a bit more bulky, so perhaps that is better stored in a beach bag which you leave prominently on your towel -- so you can see it from the water.

In most cases the beaches are no particularly crowded, so it's a fairly simple thing to keep an eye on your bag... unless you're snorkelling of course!

#2 Posted: 17/2/2007 - 07:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.