Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Which island for 5 nights in April solo?

• yorkshirela-
    ss

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2011

Hello,

I'm currently researching a trip to Thailand March/April 2012 – my first visit to Thailand. :) Basically I'll be travelling with others to Bangkok, Sukhothai, Chiang Mai, Lampang and some quick island hopping around the Andaman Coast, finishing in Phuket . I have the opportunity to stay an extra 5 nights on my own at the end (which would be in early April), and I thought it'd be a great way to see how I find the whole solo travel thing. I've been to Asia before (Japan and Malaysia), but not on my own.

I'm currently trying to decide which island to base myself at, but am suffering from a bit of information overload! Basically I'm looking for a place where it's...

- easy to meet other travellers
    - a good base for making day trips. I can't envisage wanting to sun bathe all the time so I'd be interested in doing snorkelling, kayaking, cycling, maybe rock climbing, island hopping etc
    - chilled out and relaxed as opposed to a massive party scene; I prefer relaxed bars rather than full-on partying/raving
    - a good place to try local food... I won't be going to Thailand to sample Italian food!
    - relatively easy to get to Phuket or Ko Samui airport for my return home

As an extra note I love wildlife so anywhere it's good to see a variety of wildlife would be a bonus.

I had originally considered Ko Phi Phi, but after doing some research it sounds like it might be a bit too built-up, commercial party atmosphere etc which I wouldn't really be seeking out. Reading the articles on this website Ko Lanta and Krabi/Railay sound like they could also be good options. Basically, I don't want to be on my own with a lot of families and couples, but also not stuck in a big hedonistic party resort either!

I suspect there is no one island to choose and the trip will be what I make it, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any particular place to base myself for 5 nights. :)

Also, am I best staying in a dorm to mix with other travellers more easily?

Many thanks for any help!

A Thailand newbie

#1 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 02:02

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Are you flying out of Samui or Phuket ?

If flying out of Phuket than I highly recommend Railay Beach. It sounds like it has everything that you are looking for. If you are flying out of Samui than go to Koh Phangan. But head to the northern part of the island to steer clear of the part goers on the south of the island. Try Thong Nai Pan Yai, Haad Salad or Mae Haad.

#2 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 08:53

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Are you flying out of Samui or Phuket ?

If flying out of Phuket than I highly recommend Railay Beach. It sounds like it has everything that you are looking for. If you are flying out of Samui than go to Koh Phangan. But head to the northern part of the island to steer clear of the part goers on the south of the island. Try Thong Nai Pan Yai, Haad Salad or Mae Haad.

#3 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 08:53

• yorkshirela-
    ss

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2011

Thanks for your suggestions. :)

I haven't yet booked my flights so I could fly out of either Samui or Phuket , although I guess Phuket would be easier as I'll be in that area at the end of the first part of my trip anyway.

Railay Beach does sound like it could be a very good option; I'll have a more in-depth look at that area and also the areas of Koh Phangan you suggested.

Thanks again for your help!

#4 Posted: 31/10/2011 - 19:22

• stoneman

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2010
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 9

Yes, as stated, either Koh Samui (Chaweng or Lamai beach) or Ao Nang/Krabi (Railay beach).

#5 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 05:53

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

I adore Koh Lanta, but it's a bit slow if you're looking to meet people. Very chilled and cheapish(bungalows for 250-350 can be had on the beach.) For relaxation, I prefer Tonsai to Railay (next door neighbors), but either place is good for meeting people, rock climbing, and day trips to the many islands dotting the sea. In these places, there always seems to be a natural drift of travelers to certain bars and restaurants, so just follow the flow and you'll be meeting people in no time.

#6 Posted: 16/11/2011 - 00:13

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Solo Traveler in Hanoi for 4 nights. ... By pdr_ml on 19 Mar 2011 0 3117 19 Mar 2011
Ha Long Bay 3 days and 2 nights on the Jolly Roger & Castaway Island ... By drunkeneddy on 17 Jan 2010 1 3970 21 Jan 2010