Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

NYE and/or Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan

• seans_elyse-
    es

Joined Travelfish
    1st November, 2011

Hi guys/girls!

First post on here as I've just booked flights to Thailand for a 3 week trip from end of December into January! :) I have a few ideas about things to do and places to go so far but the thing I'm pretty set on so far is being on Koh Phangan for the New Year party.

The thing I'm not sure about is whether it's worth staying around there for the full moon party which is then on the 8th of January. Any thoughts?

From what I've read, the island will pretty much empty on the 1st January after the NYE party (?) so I had thought that I could get over to Koh Tao for a couple of days snorkelling/diving in between but I'm just not sure if it'd be worth hanging around the length of time required to also do the Full Moon Party on the 8th January, and if I'm just being greedy wanting to do both. (I think it's the idealist in me that wants to an actual proper Full Moon Party even though I guess the event is actually the same at NYE and it's only the actual moon in the night sky that will be different).

Any thoughts?

Would spending 10/11 days around Koh Phangan/Koh Tao be worth it for the 2 parties and would there be enought to enjoy outside of that? ...or should I just stay around 5 nights for NYE and then head back to explore the mainland?

#1 Posted: 1/11/2011 - 04:27

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

I am not sure where you got your information from but the island certainly does not get empty after NYE. There are many travellers that come to the island to relax and enjoy a beach holiday and January to February is one of the busiest times on the island.

As for whether or not to stay for the actual FMP it is hard to say. If you enjoyed the NYE party then maybe stick around, if not then don't. I would stay on the island just because it is a beautiful, relaxing place. There is plenty to do on the days that there are not parties, such as diving, snorkelling, muay thai, jungle treks, elephant treks, island tours, shopping, Yoga, laying in a hammock, etc. It depends on what you are looking for on your holiday.

#2 Posted: 12/11/2011 - 00:11

• Phanganist

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

NYE and full moon will be very different, if you have to pick one I would go for NYE as its the biggest NYE party in the world and a much larger scale - if you can imagine that! than the usual FM party...theres also lots of other events happening during the week between Christmas and NY.

Dec 26th, there is Green Cross Beach Clean, where people have the chance to give something back to the Island and get involved and help clean the beach. It is actually a lot of fun, you get to meet more people, including the locals, and the job satisfaction is amazingly brilliant Karma. Theres an annual volleyball and soccer competitions which take place in the days leading up to the 31st. Heats take place on Dec 27th, 28th and 29th with the finals on the 30th. After the prize giving ceremony on the 30th, Miss Haad Rin beauty competition - there are big money prizes up for grabs for all the events, which happen around Tommy Resort.

But like Guava says, the Island will not empty after NYE, its high season so will stay busy until mid/end Feb, and there are plenty of other more chilled places to go and things to do on the Island..make sure you see the rest of the Island too as it often gets overlooked and it is beautiful!

#3 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 23:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Phangan Full Moon Party NYE!!! ... By vipinsh on 22 Sep 2012 1 2402 1 Oct 2012
Help! - Koh Phangan Accommodation Full Moon Party ... By KatieI on 15 Jul 2009 2 2934 16 Jul 2009
BTs Hostel & Restaurant Koh Phangan HAAD RIN FULL MOON PARTY ... By BTs on 8 Aug 2013 2 1445 9 Aug 2013
anyone interested to join for the full moon party in koh phangan on 19th of march'11. ... By alee on 4 Mar 2011 2 1374 4 Mar 2011
Loi Krathong and Full Moon Party, pushes party day later? ... By helmo645 on 26 May 2012 0 1591 26 May 2012
Full Moon Party - 6/1 ... By avj682 on 22 May 2007 1 3397 22 May 2007
Full Moon Party ... By veronicad on 18 Dec 2012 5 2438 20 Dec 2012
Next Full Moon Party... ... By SammyB on 28 Apr 2009 1 3402 2 May 2009
full moon party and a-like ... By simonea on 26 Nov 2010 2 2930 30 Nov 2010
NYE Full Moon Party from Koh Tao ... By alexanderaroch on 1 Sep 2012 5 4953 4 Sep 2012