Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Too little planning?

• cjb86

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

hey,

I'm arriving in BKK with my girlfriend on the 1st December and have 5 months to take in Asia before flying out of Bali 5 and a half months later.

We are thinking of taking in BKK for a few days and then heading south to island hop for a bit (no place in particular) and then go back up north and head to Chiang Mai before going across the border into Laos. Is this the logical way to do it or would it be more sensible to head to Cambodia after taking in the south of thailand? I really haven't planned anything as I want to be felxible.

What have you guys done in the past?

Thanks in advance
    Chris

#1 Posted: 1/11/2011 - 20:59

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

It's probably a wash time wise... BUT, word around the campfire (and I can not confirm, you'll have to check) is that there's a direct flight from Phuket to Siem Reap. If true, then you could fly direct and man would that save you some time and convenience.

#2 Posted: 1/11/2011 - 21:56

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I'd make sure you use your Free 30 days in Thailand before moving to Laos, unless of course you get a double entry entry visa (2 x 60)

#3 Posted: 1/11/2011 - 22:38

• cjb86

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

great, thanks guys. I'll look into that phuket to SR flight.

Do you know if you still need proof of onward travel if you get a double entry tourist visa?

#4 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 01:38

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Bangkok Airways does fly direct to Siem Reap.
    I've never been asked for onward travel in regards to obtaining any visas but check with the Thai consulate beforehand. Not positive about the double entry visa as I've never applied for one.
    I find that the less I plan for my trips the better. Last year I bought a ticket to Denpasar and home from Phnom Penh 4 months later. I ended up staying in Bali for 3 months and studied Bahasa...I didn't plan to do it originally. My point is you don't know if you'll like or dislike a place until you get there. And if you don't book hotels, flights or transport tickets in advance your options are all open. Stay as long as you like or leave asap!
    Enjoy!

#5 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 07:45

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I'd say that too little planning is the way to go, especially when you've got 5 months. That's loads of time. Maybe figure out a few places you'd like to see, then take your time getting to them, checking out the places in between. That's being flexible. You'll probably discover a few gems, too.

You aren't, by chance, queensy83's boyfriend, are you?

#6 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 08:03

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Have a great trip hombre. You get out to Mukdahan look me up.

#7 Posted: 2/11/2011 - 18:00

• cjb86

Joined Travelfish
    25th July, 2011

sweet, cheers for the advice everyone.

#8 Posted: 9/11/2011 - 13:15

• cybervlad

Click here to learn more about cybervlad
    Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2007
    Location Thailand

> or would it be more sensible to head to Cambodia
    > after taking in the south of thailand?
    If you were in the south Thailand there is good option to fly to SiemReap via Kuala Lumpur, not Bangkok. Then you can cross the border to Laos, then to north Thailand.

#9 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 05:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.