Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Living in Bangkok

• travelsalone

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location Cambodia

I am moving to Thailand in July, very excited, but also a bit overwhelmed! I am interested in what people have to say about living in the different areas of Bangkok..."good" vs. "bad." I will be working at Sukhumvit Rd Soi 49-3, and will have help finding a place to live when I get there, but I am curious to hear what you travelers may have to say. Thanks, and happy travels to you!

#1 Posted: 18/2/2007 - 12:03

• Advertisement

• grantroger

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2006

Well one thing for sure is that your lifestyle will become MUch more cheaper then where it was if you were in the western part of the world. There is no doubt about that. You can easily be full with just 40 baht or approximately $1. :)

#2 Posted: 18/2/2007 - 12:59

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey TA,

If you'll be working in the Sukhumvit 49 area and you can find a place you like and can afford in that area, I'd definitely recommend living near your work. You'll save heaps of time and avoid tons of stress by not having to fight traffic to get to and from work.

I like that area of town. In decades past, that was the first choice for expats to live. That area is on the skytrain line, which can quickly and easily get you to most of the places you'll go on a regular basis. It is close to Samitivej Hospital, and there are lots of other places to hang nearby. I'd give that my first look once I arrived in Bangkok. Take care.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 08:58

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We lived there for seven years and loved every minute of it... ok, maybe not the minutes when the soi flooded...

We were on Sukhumvit Soi 27, and just recently spend a couple of months on Thong Lo (soi 55). It's a terrific area -- loads of great places to eat and hang out and if you're working in the immediate area you won't have to deal with traffic much for commuting etc.

The downside of Sukhumvit is it is a bit of a foreigner ghetto, but overall itis still very Thai -- just in its own way. Other areas eg - Chinatown, Banglamphu, Silom all have their own pluses and minuses but if you're going to be working in that area, I'd say that's a big reason for living in a similar area.

#4 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 09:21

• kdang

Joined Travelfish
    31st May, 2005
    Total reviews: 2

BKK being BKK, IMHO I think that to a large extent where best to live is dictated by traffic congestion and traffic-flows (e.g., directness of routes, one-way streets, expressway entrances and exits) between work and home. You can live 2 miles from work and take an hour in traffic, or live 6 miles and take 20 minutes in traffic.

If your housing budget can handle it, Soi 49 isn't bad and there are several new condos on the main soi. Otherwise, if you're willing to forego taking a car to work, I'd suggest looking for a place within walking distance of almost any Skytrain station because there is a Skytrain station (Thonglor) reasonably close.

You might want also want to consider Soi Ruam Rudee (Ploenchit station), Soi Ekkamai (Ekkamai station), Sukhumvit Soi 8 (Nana station) and the neighborhood around the Emporium (Prom Phong station).

#5 Posted: 20/2/2007 - 11:31

• travelsalone

Joined Travelfish
    19th March, 2006
    Location Cambodia

Hi, It's been awhile, but I wanted to say thanks for all the input. It's nice to have ideas to start, but as you know, keeping an open mind to the unknown is always a good thing too! I don't want to live in an only "expat" area, and figure I will find a nice mix somewhere near work. On the expat note, I take it that term is just used "loosely?" I looked it up and it seemed to mean that you have denounced your nationality. Just a random thought. 21 days until I leave this island, and then 40 days before I leave the U.S. for 2(+?) years! So I will keep reading the boards and soon enough be living the real thing! Enjoy :)

#6 Posted: 27/5/2007 - 11:35

• as400

Joined Travelfish
    24th May, 2007

Check out

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/

Good for all things Thailand.

#7 Posted: 2/6/2007 - 02:21

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

Hello,

Like somtam says 'Sukhumvit is it is a bit of a foreigner ghetto' but whever you see that as a downside or a plus depends on what you like. :)

I wouldn't like to stay around sukhumvit for this reason but then at the other extream I have rented an appartment in the Bang Kae area of bangkok (not many foreigners there) with no aircon or flush on the toilet! lol.

Satorn/silom is not far from Sukhumvit might be good alternatives.

Goodluck with the move.
    Ant.

#8 Posted: 2/6/2007 - 15:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.