Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Bed Bugs

• tati53

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2007

I'm leaving to SE Asia in a few days and know that I will run into bed bugs somewhere along the way.

Is there any way to prevent them from biting? They seem very resistant to any normal bug spray/DEET product. If I cover the hostel/guesthouse bed (mattress and sheets) in large, plastic garbage bags and sleep in my silk sleep sack will I be safer? Are the bugs able to climb the slick plastic?

Yeah, I know I sound crazy, but any advice you could provide would be most appreciated.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 18/2/2007 - 15:19

• Advertisement

• princessdis-
    aster

Joined Travelfish
    30th November, 2006

I've been travelling for years and the only time I have every come accross bed bugs was in the UK.

As far as I can tell you can't really tell if they are there or not before hand and they hunt you down in your sleep, I just wouldn't worry about it to much if you get bitten move guesthouses and get all your stuff washed and hung out on a line in the sun so you don't accidently transfer them to the next guesthouse.

#2 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 07:40

• xineharsell

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2006

Posted from within Vietnam.

Just to let you know I've been travelling for just over a year now - six of those months in SE Asia - and the only times I have come across bed bugs were in Auckland and Wellington New Zealand. I still laugh at the not very helpful receptionist in Auckland who kept ranting about these backpackers bringing in bed bugs from Asia.

Unless the room has a very bad infestation like Princessdisaster said - you don't find them, they find you. Bud bugs are awful, but it probably isn't worth the effort of carrying around plastic sheets in the off chance you may stay in the wrong guesthouse. If you do have bad luck - heat will kill the bugs and their eggs. Put everything you can through a tumble dryer or leave out in the hot sun for a few hours. And if it makes you feel better you might do it anyway when you get home.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 08:31

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hey Tati,

This is too funny, because the only time I've ever encountered bed bugs in all my travels was in Wanaka, New Zealand. There must have been a bunch of backpackers bringing them in from Asia there too!

This shouldn't be a big problem, and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Your silk sleep sack sounds like great protection to me, and I know my wife was glad to have hers on our last trip for those few times when the sheets weren't all that fresh. Cheers.

#4 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 08:50

• tati53

Joined Travelfish
    18th February, 2007

Thanks to all of you! You've eased my mind quite a bit. I suppose I am a bit paranoid. And as an air hostess who knows what I've slept in!

I guess I won't be visiting New Zealand any time soon, though! Ha ha!

Blue Skies, Tati

#5 Posted: 19/2/2007 - 10:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.