Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand August 2012 6 month stay

• charlirabe

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2011
    Location Australia

Hi all, my name is Charli. Im a hairdresser by trade but currently working in a Customer Service centre. I am planning on travelling to Thailand in August 2012 & hoping to venture around for atleast 6 months. I have a Thai/Australian background & have been over to S.E.A for holidays with family & friends before but this trip, i will be going at it alone & for a longer period of time.'

Any answers to the following queries will be greatly appreciated as i wish to get all the past experiences & advice i can get while im still residing in Sydney.

QUESTIONS:
    * With my Thai background & family in asia, am i meant to get a visa? If so, what am i applying for?
    * What kind of budget am i looking at for the entire 6 months? Keeping in mind i want to be able to survive though not necessarily in luxury.
    * Is there anybody else travelling on their own during the time i will be there (August- February), as i certain parts of the country i wouldnt mind meeting up with companions?
    * Also out of curiousity & possibility, what are the chances of getting work over there & what will pay be like. Obviously not a fruitful as Australia.

Any answers will be GREATLY appreciated!

#1 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 02:24

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

What is your citizenship? If not Thai then you need a work permit to work legally and then a tourist visa is not enough. Most foreigners who work here are English teachers and some do so illegally on a freelance basis, but most go through some sort of school who arranges the work permit, but you'd need to do your own groundwork searching for a school. It's not really appropriate for a 6-month tourist visit anyway. If you are fluent in Thai and English though, you could have a greater range of possibilities like a translation service but again you'd have to seek this out independently.

If you just want to stay in Thailand six months without working, get a double-entry tourist visa before travelling, which should get you two-60 day entries each one extendable 30 days thus giving you a total of 6 months (including one border hop for the 2nd entry plus two trips to Immigration for the extensions). Your local Thai embassy or consulate can help explain this.

#2 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 21:43

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

If you were born in Thailand then you can work and stay as long as you please. If you have family in Thailand you can apply for a non-immigrant O based on visiting family, but they will need to send a letter and copy of their Thai ID card to the embassy in Oz.

If you were not born in Thailand but your parents were then I believe you may also be exempt from having to get a visa and work permit but this is something that you should check with the embassy as I have no experience with this.

If none of these apply then you must get a work permit and non-immigrant business visa to work. This will be impossible to do for your current trade as you can only get a WP for a job that a Thai can not do.

As for how much money you can make, this depends on what you are doing.

#3 Posted: 11/11/2011 - 23:58

• JoMaHa21

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Hi Charli, I'm planning on going to Thailand and travelling for about 6month around the same time as you and i will also be on my own, quite nervous about it to be honest, but everyone have told me that i will meet people out there, so if you wanted to meet up somewhere out there i would be up for that :)

#4 Posted: 16/11/2011 - 14:28

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand 2012/6 month stay ... By charlirabe on 11 Nov 2011 1 716 11 Nov 2011
30/f/solo in Thailand mid-June to mid-August 2012 ... By idreaminthai on 5 Apr 2012 8 1792 19 Jun 2012
Travel companion on august 2012...cambodia-thailand ... By charina on 12 Jun 2012 6 1750 26 Jul 2012
one month stay in thailand, where? ... By txolo on 12 Jun 2008 17 3982 11 May 2010
3 Month Stay in Thailand based in one city ... By GarnetandGold on 9 Jan 2013 1 1392 10 Jan 2013