Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

10 weeks in Thailand / SE Asia- confused about which way to go first!

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Myself and the GF are off to Bangkok on Jan 12th and have a return flight back to Dublin for April 1st.

We are big nature and outdoor lovers, so would like to see lots of animals etc and a bit of fishing (for me). I've been to Thailand before in 2006, but spent 90% of my time in bars and clubs- so really want to take in the sights and enjoy the scenery.

Our rough plan was;
    -Bangkok x 2 nights
    -Head south by train to 3 or 4 of these places for 7- 14 days http://www.travelfish.org/feature/193
    -then to Koh Phangan to Haad Salad for 5-10 days depending on how we like it
    -full moon party Feb 8th
    - then maybe some more of the islands around Phi Phi /Phuket

From there on we are going to visit my sister in Singapore and would like to get some time in Malaysia either on the way there or way back- we were thinking of getting the train to Singapore. Does anyone know if it's possible to hop on the Bangkok to Singapore train down the south of Thailand?

We also want to visit the north Chang Mai / Chang Rai etc then onto Laos for a few days as well as Vietnam or Cambodia.

Then maybe finishing off with a last few days on the beach and a few days in Bangkok before home!

Now that we've worked out where we want to go (roughly) - we just can't figure out which way to go first etc? Thinking heading south first and then to Malaysia / Singapore then up north- Laos- Cambodia / Vietnam- then back to the sun and back to BKK.

Does that make sense?

Any help much appreciated,

A

#1 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 16:10

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

If you are nature lovers go to Khao Sok for a few nights either before or after Koh Phangan. It is only a 2 hour bus ride away and absolutely incredible.

#2 Posted: 15/11/2011 - 20:36

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Either way you go, you're traveling on well-worn paths. Hop on an AirAsia flight(assuming you're on a backpacker budget), and you're from Chiang Mai to Sing in 2 1/2-3 hours. Once you're up north, it's quite easy to take the slow boat to Luang Prabang and make your way south through Laos to Cambodia and Saigon. Whatever you decide to do, you won't have a shortage of travel agents touting tickets to your next destination in their windows. Just make sure you give yourself enough time to explore the places you go, because there are a myriad of ways to spend your days here in SEA. Cheers

#3 Posted: 16/11/2011 - 00:31

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

Thanks for all the replies. Some great info here.
    Do you know any more info about taking slow boats from Saigon to cambodia / Laos - or northern Thai down towards the places named above, maybe ending in Siagon?

Re Khao Sok- it looks absolutely amazing. Pricey enough, has anyone spent the night there and can recommend?

Cheers!

#4 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 10:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.