Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

help with itinerary (3weeks in thai)

• chrisfusion1

Joined Travelfish
    17th November, 2011

just need pointing in the right direction for what is do-able in 3 weeks with me and 2 friends (april 21-may-12 )
    flying to bangkok then the idea was to head south, but we would like to see koh chang to see some elephants . or is there anywere along the journey south we could do a elephant safri ?.( pritty low budget around 40000 bh)
    mostly use public transport and ferrys dont think we could splash out on planes. staying in mostly low budget accomidation. also how differnt is the weather at ao nang to ko tao that time of year ?
    does this sound possible?

1.bangkok for 3 nights .thai boxing.temples.
    bus to
    2.Ao nang 4nights ( phi phi islands )
    bus and ferry
    3.ko samui 3nights
    ferry to
    4.ko tao 3nights-4nights (diving ect)
    ferry
    4.koh pan nang 3nights( for full moon on the 6th of may )
    then some how get to koh chang ? is there a ferry we can get from ko samui? or do we have to bus it all the way up and across ?
    5.koh chang for a few nights
    bangkok
    home:(

any input would be great , first time really im we have done anything like this :)

#1 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 05:36

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

No ferry service between Samui or any of the islands in that area to Koh Chang. You'll have to go back to Bangkok and then go from there.

For low budget travel, you've selected some of the most expensive places in the country to visit.

Also, for three weeks, this is a really packed schedule. It's do-able, but you'll be doing an awful lot of moving around. Consider staying in one area longer and cutting some of the places from the list.

This is what I mean ... if you cannot fly, it's going to take you a good 12-15 hours, or so (usually an overnight bus or bus/train combo) to get to the south from Bangkok, then the same for the trip back. In total, these 2 roadtrips alone will gobble up about 1 1/2 full days of your precious 21 days. You'll use up another day just going from the west coast to Samui. You'll also want or have to be back in Bangkok the day before you leave for home unless you are flying very late at night.

#2 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 08:14

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

My wife and I were in Thailand in Sept 2009 for 3 weeks and only saw Bangkok, Koh Samui and Kophangan. We flew from Bangkok to Ko Samui then eventually flew back from Samui back to Bangkok.

Even with two flights and 21 days it wasn't nearly enough time to really enjoy those places to the fullest, so I can agree with Tilapia, you are cramming a way too much into such a short time period. Also remember you are going in the hottest most humid time of the year so its probably best to be chilling by a beach somewhere rather than travelling all over the place.

Anyways....

I definitly loved the mellow laid back atmosphere of Kophangan much much more than the extremley busy Bangkok and very busy Ko Samui.

Given your mode of travel, I would cut out Ko chang for sure and possibly Ao nang and concentrate your time around Ko Samui,Kophangan and Ko Tao which are reasonably close together and connectible by reasonbly short ferry rides.

For the hot time of the year you are going, I would be thinking beach-beach-beach and Ko Samui, Kophnaghan and Ko Tao can offer you some of that for sure. 2-3 days in Bangkok is more than plenty, especially in the sweltering heat.

#3 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 23:05

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

really not sure why it tends to print..........

[fred color=rgb(54, 54, 54)

But anyways it wasn't an intended part of the above post.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 23:07

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The HTML code appears when you 'cut and paste'- I think some of us have worked out that it's a problem for Chrome users. To get rid of it, you have to click on the HTML button when you type in your text and delete it back out.

I agree with you about Koh Phangan. I didn't expect to like it too much since the FMP reputation put me off -but I ended up loving it.

#5 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 00:50

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I've been to 2 full moon parties, 10 yrs apart, I actually enjoyed the first one as it was my first trip to Thailand, but I was less impressed with the aftermath - the beach is basically a garbage dump the next day.

When I went 2 yrs ago I totally regretted it - i'd never go to another one.

#6 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 09:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.