Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sending home antimalarials

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

I'm flying to Thailand in December and will be starting my antimalarials whilst i'm in low/no risk areas in preparation for travel to high risk areas.

My girlfriend will be joining me a month later and we'll be headed close to high risk areas but won't actually be IN them for another 2-4 weeks.

Would it be possible for me to send a course of antimalarials home (UK) to her to take before she comes out? They're not prescription drugs so I can't see it being illegal.

Has anyone had experience of this and can validate or rule out my plan?

#1 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 10:15

• Advertisement

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

1) Yes. It would be pointless to buy drugs in UK, take them to Thailand and then send them home again!

2) Yes

3) A doctor

4) Yes

I realise that the drugs arent 100% and there are resistant strains, dengue fever etc.

Can anyone answer my question concerning the legallity of sending these drugs to the UK?

#2 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 10:52

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

1) Are you buying your antimalarials in Thailand?
    2) Have you consulted a Dr. to see which is the best type for you and your gf?
    3) Who told you that you had to take antimalarial meds?
    4) Have you got the required vaccinations?

Just wondering?

You know that taking antimalarials does not mean you still can't catch Malaria, nor does it protect you from Dengue fever which is also transmitted by mosquito bites.

#3 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 11:08

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

See:http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelhealth/7233_odds-on-getting-malaria-without-taking-tablets

There's always the chance they don't arrive in time, or are held at customs regardless of if it's legal or not.

#4 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 11:11

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Have you thought of contacting Thai Post and UK post and asking them? Most people here are not customs or medical experts :P

#5 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 12:01

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

Was there a reason for you commenting on this thread? :/

#6 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 14:31

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Well, that depends, has anyone else answered? Sometimes it helps to offer options, even if you don't agree with them. Some people may not have consulted a doctor and just decide to randomly self medicate. Besides a lot of people choose not to take Malaria meds when going to Thailand due to side effects and so on...

#7 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 16:15

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I take antimalarials every time I am in South East Asia. I once met a dude in a low risk area in central America with malaria - it is not pretty.
    Of course antimalarials are legal and I can't see you having a problem shipping them...but in regards to customs - they might not make it through - but you'll be shipping home a container of drugs! Your package will be scanned and opened and scrutinized and therefore might be late if it arrives at all.
    The cost of shipping them will most likely cost more than if your girlfriend got herself a prescription at home. I don't know the cost of antimalarials in the UK but here in canada they are cheap (with a decent medical benefits plan).

#8 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 17:55

• ajr81

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2011

Yeah I kinda assumed they'd be fairly well examined in the postal systems and they'd take a while to arrive, if at all. My concerns were mainly the legality.

Im not sure of the cost of the meds in the UK either, but I hear they're expensive and a lot cheaper in Thailand.

I think I'll probably just risk it cos that's the kind of caring boyfriend I am :)

Thanks guys.

#9 Posted: 18/11/2011 - 20:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Sending Pictures Home ... By sublime_net on 9 Sep 2008 5 4365 2 Oct 2010
Q's about traveling w/ DSLR - bag + sending pics home ... By csawala on 24 Apr 2011 6 4506 23 Dec 2011