Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

koh mak or koh kood?

• renknak

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

In December we are going to Thailand with 2 kids (age 7 and 5). We start in Koh Chang, afterwards leave to Cambodia and when we come back we'd like to have some beachdays on Koh Mak or Koh Kood. Which island should we choose? Recommendations on accommodations are very welcome!

#1 Posted: 21/11/2011 - 13:39

• Advertisement

• Caswell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there
    We fell in love with Koh Kood when we were there with our family (incl. 3 kids) two years ago. We will be back i January :-) we stayed and will stay again at The Natural Beach Resort - in Bang Bao Bay - great for kids!!! one reason for chosing Koh Kood over Koh Mak is sandflies - supposedly a problem on Koh Mak.
    Enjoy!
    Dorte

#2 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 07:09

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I've stayed three times on Mak and wasn't particularly bothered by sandflies on the first two occasions, but on the last it seemed that practically all tourists, myself included, on both sides of the island were covered in big, red wheals. Unlike mossie bites, they itch and burn for days. It was really unpleasant. Insect repellent worn in the day helped somewhat.

Also, I noticed the rubbish on Mak was becoming a huge problem: the resorts clear their beaches every morning, but all of the deserted stretches have literally a line of washed up junk and gunk. Mainly from Chang, I guess.

I've been to Kut once and loved it. The beaches are far more attractive than Mak and there is a nice atmosphere. Mak seems to be turning into a second home place for rich Europeans. There was an 80's pop-star "wintering" there the last time I went!

You'd have to state your budget to get accommodation recommedations.

#3 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 22:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've stayed at both - am revisiting both in February.
    Mak is easier to access, is way more compact and easier to check out, more developed (but not overdeveloped).
    Despite being a popular escape for midrange Thai holidayers for years, Kut has more of a last frontier, underdeveloped feeling. Harder to move around, check out the whole island or even most of it.
    I've never had trouble with sandflies on Mak but I think they are a seasonal thing.

#4 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 04:49

• oregano

Joined Travelfish
    5th December, 2011

I'm planning a last minute beach holiday next week and Koh Mak looks like the place for me: nice beaches, some snorkeling and peace. I want to stay at The Big Easy, which is meant to be fab but I don't want my holiday ruined by sandflies.
    I am almost at the point of chickening out and going somewhere else. Anyone been there recently or at this time of year? Advice please!

Thanks!

#5 Posted: 5/12/2011 - 22:43

• renknak

Joined Travelfish
    21st November, 2011

Thanks for the replies! We've decided to go for Koh Kood. Indeed, we don't want our holiday to be ruined by sandflies and this seems to be a real problem on Koh Mak.
    We are planning to stay either at Dusita Resort, (anyone heard about that?) or else the Natural Beach resort like Caswell suggested. We look for accomodation from about 2500 baht, with a nice beach in front and e few restaurants to walk to. Other suggestions?
    Thanks!

#6 Posted: 7/12/2011 - 08:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Koh Kood Resort and Spa, KOh Kood, Trat Province ... By carmen on 27 Feb 2007 0 2107 27 Feb 2007