Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

First trip to Thailand!!!

Posted by Goodmango on 21/11/2011 at 21:04

Hey everybody! I'm due for my first trip to Thailand this coming Christmas. I'll be flying most likely from Busan, south Korea. Any ideas for the a great 6-7 day trip? We're thinking Koh Phi phi or Koh Lanta...

We definitely plan on coming back for a longer trip after our teaching contract in Korea. But we really need some help with this trip because its coming so soon!!! We start teaching December 1st and our first vacation starts Christmas eve. So much to plan, could really use any pointers!

#1 Goodmango has been a member since 21/11/2011. Posts: 14

Posted by busylizzy on 21/11/2011 at 21:38

Check out here: http://www.travelfish.org/country/thailand . If you want islands, go to that page and click on the Island link on the left.

Lots of good info on this site - you need to dig around.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by whardy on 21/11/2011 at 23:54

Generally speaking, your choice is between partying(Phi Phi) and chilling(Lanta). That may be too broad, but it should guide you if you're unsure of what to expect. There are parties on Koh Lanta, sure, and some beautiful, quieter beaches on Phi Phi(ex. Long Beach), but if you're after something specific, best to go all in especially since it sounds like you're set on one or the other. My personal recommendation? Koh Lanta. Cheaper, bigger, more beautiful, ample opportunities for solitude and adventure, and more untamed(Lanta Noi, especially). Like Lizzy said, do some research here. Travelfish is a great resource, greater than the sum of its parts(us contributors). Have fun planning your vacations using this site, I know I do :)

#3 whardy has been a member since 14/11/2011. Posts: 66

Posted by Tilapia on 22/11/2011 at 07:42

6-7 day trip? Unless you're flying south you'll be spending about 15% of that time traveling to and from Bangkok. You can get to the islands in Trat Province in less than half the time (Koh Chang, Koh Mak, Koh Wai, Koh Kut).

If you plan to fly, or take the train, best to book in advance because it's going to be super busy.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,485
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.