Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

from Koh Kradan to Ao Nang by longtail?

• b_a_s1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2011

Hi. I'm going with my husband to Thailand in December. We're spending a couple of days on Koh Kradan and then want to go to Ao Nang. I know we can go to Trang and then by bus to Krabi and to Ao Nang. It's quite a long journey and not too interesting. We thought about renting a longtail to take us from Koh Kradan straight to Ao Nang. I know it would take a long time but is it possible? It would be much more interesting than by bus. How much would it cost? How long could it take? Where to rent a boat? We don't want to rent a speed boat because it would be more expensive

#1 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 13:44

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Not sure about the cost but you can ask at your resort on Koh Kraden and they can probably arrange it for you. It also depends when you are going. It the waves are high than I woulnd't recommend doing it this way.

The ride through Trang province is lovely. It is a beautiful province and the north end of it is completely untouched.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 20:41

• b_a_s1

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2011

Thank you for your help. We are going in the middle of December.
    Has anyone rented a longtail in Trang for the whole day? I'd like to have a general idea of the price.

#3 Posted: 24/11/2011 - 02:49

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

That's about 100km over potentially choppy seas even in December, and longtails are fairly slow. Provided you could get a boat driver to take you all that way, I'd expect it to take all day, probably with a stop at Ko Lanta and Ko Jum, maybe 6+ hours of actual motoring, cost guesstimate maybe 8000 baht. Have a look at this pricelist at Ao Nang from a couple years ago, to give you some idea. If they want 3800b just to do Ao Nang - Bamboo Island return it would be considerably more to go all the way from Kradan. Maybe take the Tigerline boat to Lanta then the regular fairy to Ao Nang. Might have to overnight at Lanta but saves you a bunch of money and you still get to see the Trang coast by boat.

#4 Posted: 24/11/2011 - 08:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

A longtail trip that distance would cost the earth and possibly by rough and wet, maybe even dangerous. Hell, I think twice about speedboat trips over any distance these days. Had some horrendously rough and wet ones in the past.

You can still do this by sea - Tigerline start their service to/from Krabi I think on Dec 6 (google for website). One caveat - Wally at Paradise Lost told me Tigerline sometimes bypasses Kradan (their final destination is Ko Lipe/Langkawi via Had Yao pier south of Kradan). But maybe for set downs (they unload them at Muk at times), not pick ups pre booked.

Alternatively, you can catch the daytrip boat up to Lanta and then a minibus into Krabi or wait next day and catch the ferry right to Ao Nang.

#5 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 04:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Longtail from Ao Nang to West Railey ... By ruxandra on 30 Oct 2007 1 2383 31 Oct 2007