Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

best beach on koh pha ngan

• ambersaffron

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

Hi there. I'm looking for some recommendations for an awesome beach on koh phangan to hang out at. I'm a 40 year old female, married but traveling solo and I just want to relax on a nice beach, eat some good thai food and drink some beers and have a good time. No big parties or raves but enough of a night life to keep me busy. i want to spend about three weeks there and spend about 400 baht for a decent bungalow. any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Amber

#1 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 18:09

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Try Thong Nai Pan Yai. It is the perfect place to relax and unwind with just enough beachbars to keep you busy, but nothing over the top. And plenty of others in your age group.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 20:38

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I concur with guava_girl - TNPY is excellent. I'm sure I've echoed her on this before! And I know I have posted with some info previously - search the TF site. I spent 10 days there last year and loved it.

Hire a 4WD and explore the rest of the island while you are at it though.

#3 Posted: 22/11/2011 - 22:28

• KevandJho

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2011

My wife and I were in Kophangan in Sept 2009 and really enjoyed the overall feel of the island, compared to the very busy, neighbouring Ko Samui. It's really a laid back beautiful place and we toured what ever roads we could, daily with a rented motorbike. If I could recommend anything, rent a bike and tour around for sure.

I wish I would have also rented a 4WD and checked out more of the secluded beaches on the east side such as TNP. Just reading about it here makes me wish that I could go back in time and checked out some more of those more secluded less accessible beaches down the end of some of those rough dirt roads. I love those kind of places!

Hope you find what you are looking for in Kophangan, because I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it.

#4 Posted: 28/11/2011 - 22:41

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Thong Nai Pan Noi.
    1st class beach, nice laid back atmosphere and adjacent to Thong Nai Pan Yai which was recommended in the first response (you can even swim to it if you're strong enough), or walk 200 yards.
    Haven't been for a couple of years but I'd expect little to have changed in that time.

Have you considered Koh Tao? I made my first trip there a couple of months ago and as a destination I would rate it on a par with Koh Pha Ngan. Certainly worth considering if you get bored, it has a bit more life to it and a broader cross section of ages seem to go there.

#5 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 13:22

• ambersaffron

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

thanks for the responses everyone. Thong nai pan yai definitely sounds good. or thong nai pan noi. anyone know if there are affordable (400-500 baht a night) bungalows to be found there? Also, I'm a bit concerned about the weather there in mid december. I hear it's a rainy time of year. anyone have any knowledge of that?

Sparts, Koh tao does sound good also. any beach recommendations there?
    thanks!

#6 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 15:17

• noworries

Joined Travelfish
    26th July, 2011

I'm headed to Haad salad for 10 days in Feb.
    Would defo be mre intersted in hearing about 4wd rental!? Does anyone know how much it costs or where to rent form?

thanks!

#7 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 15:19

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I paid THB2000 for a 3-day rental period for a small 4WD. When you get off the ferry, push your way past all the taxi touts and walk straight along the pier and out onto the main road (only 100m give or take). There is a cafe directly opposite that also rents out vehicles. Sorry, I forget the name of the cafe, but it will be very obvious with signs out, etc. By memory, there were a few other places nearby as well.

They don't offer any kind of insurance so you're wearing the risk. They hold your passport as security - something I tried very hard to avoid. If you damage, you pay. No pay, no passport, I presume. Having said that, I had a very trouble-free rental, and they were very good to deal with otherwise.

It's well worth the expense IMO to be able to explore the island - and certainly more safe than a motorbike, esp as some of the roads heading up to the NE beaches are pretty rough.

#8 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 17:04

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

dreaming of TNP - 'nuff said!

#9 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 04:34

• Sparts

Joined Travelfish
    5th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Places visited:
    At least 17

@ambersaffron

Koh Tao is a small island with steep sides in most places. There are a couple of clean long beaches. Haad Sairee being one of them and probably the most popular. We stayed at a place towards the far end of the beach, up on the hillside. It was expensive in comparison to what you want to spend (we got a cracking deal though).
    I've no doubt there will be lots of places on Sairee Beach that you could pick up for 400-600 bhat per night.
    NangYuna Island is well worth a visit, it sits just off the north west coast and is comprised of three small islands, all connected by a thin strip of sand. the snorkeling round there is quite good, the beaches even better. A longboat takes around 20mins. and costs around 350 bhat return.

#10 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 08:01

• Advertisement

• slow_mo

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

For accomodation have a look at

http://www.longtailbeachresort.com

I'm staying there in Feb 2012

#11 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 12:08

• ambersaffron

Joined Travelfish
    14th June, 2011

thanks slow mo! that longtail beach resort looks great!

#12 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 08:40

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

slow mo thanks for the link, will be there next July so would be great if you or ambersaffron could let us know what you thought of the accommodation
    cheers

#13 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 17:30

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I kinda like Had Thian (east coast one), Had Thong Reng and Bottle Beach as my top 3. But there's a whole bunch of other good ones. That's the thing about Phangan - so many great beaches. Pick what may be 6th best in the general consensus and it's still a great location.

#14 Posted: 4/12/2011 - 00:15

• slow_mo

Joined Travelfish
    8th July, 2011

#13 - ill post a review on here and tripadvisor when I get back

#15 Posted: 5/12/2011 - 13:21

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

@amber, it may be raining but it may not be. November is supposed to be the worst for rain and it was more hot and sunny then rainy. The last 2 days have rained but by tomorrow it could be sunny again. Koh Tao has the same weather as KP.

As for recommendations on Thong Nai Pan Yai, as mentioned above Longtail but this may already be full, as it is a popular one. Bamboo Bungalows is in your price range and is just a few steps to the beach.

#16 Posted: 5/12/2011 - 20:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.