Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi vs Trang Islands

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Hello again

We are now close to finalising our itinery for next March bar the end leg. The wife wants to go to Krabi and stay in Krabi Town or Ao Nang , if we go there i'd want to stay on Railay Beach as Ao Nang looks like the Krabi version of Benidorm and I can't think of anything worse. However she likes the look of the area and is obsessed with a visit to Ko Phi Phi.

Now, me personally would rather escape the crowds, fly down to Trang and have the last 5 nights of our holiday on one of the islands off the Trang coastline.

Has anyone ventured down there and if so what is it like? What do others think?

#1 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 01:20

• Advertisement

• whardy

Joined Travelfish
    14th November, 2011

Trang - peaceful. You can do a day trip to Phi Phi from many of the islands down there. In reality, I wouldn't recommend Phi Phi for the majority of travelers, save for the obligatory trip to Phi Phi Leh. Koh Libong, Koh Hai, Koh Muk, you really can't go wrong down there. Hell, even Koh Lanta isn't far from Trang and amazing. You've got a good idea to go a bit further south than most venture, go for it!

#2 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 04:01

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I've never been to Benidorm, but I can't imagine that Ao Nang would be that bad. Ao Nang is certainly an annoying place: Indian taylors hawking and constact cries of "Indian cuisine sir/madam?" "Snake show, snake show!" being constantly blasted from a truck but probably only 10% as bad as what I imagine Benidorm to be. I used it as a base once and was just irritated in the evenings. Also about 90% of the tourists were Brits as I'm assuming you are.

Railay in the evening is lovely. Grabbing a beer and sitting on the deserted beach whilst everyone else is eating dinner. Wonderful.

If your wife wins on the Phi Phi issue, then choose somewhere on long beach or one of the quiter beaches away from the main part of town. I hate noisy places yet have always enjoyed Phi Phi: I arrive at the port and then don't set foot in that area again until I leave!

#3 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 22:58

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've ventured down there many times and also stayed at various Krabi beaches many times. Aint much help to you - I like both areas.
    Railay is more scenic although the Trang islands aren't bad.
    Railay is more crowded although the Trang islands are in vogue and can get booked out.
    Railay has the better choice of excursions than the Trang islands.
    Hell of a lot easier/quicker/cheaper getting to Railay from Krabi airport than to the Trang islands from Trang airport.

#4 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 04:43

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Looking for advice--Krabi and Trang Islands ... By alinaisle on 9 Dec 2010 4 2952 19 Dec 2010