Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ao Nang or Krabi or Railay

• kriskeogh

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2011

Can I have some thoughts and opinions of people that have stayed in Ao Nang as what i'm reading about it isn't ticking any boxes for us. The wife wants to stay in or around Krabi area as the last stop off on our honeymoon and we would have 5 nights there. However the last thing is want is a Thai Benidorm, somewhere cheesy, tacky and people harrassing you on the street.

I'd personally rather stay in Krabi town but is this worthwhile or stay on Railay Beach (west?) but there is only a few hotels there.

The key things that matter to us is somewhere relaxing, a nice pool, not far from the beach and offers access to transport/boats so we can get to/from Krabi and other islands.

So can anyone share their experiences of this area and am I just thinking the worst..?

#1 Posted: 23/11/2011 - 01:25

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I've been going to these places about 14 years, first place I "fell in love" with Thailand was Railay in 1997.

Krabi town has no beach and is up a river mouth surrounded by muddy mangroves so that's probably out as per your criteria although it's a nice town.

Railay is much more "beachy" than Ao Nang , and more peaceful due to absence of roads and motor vehicles. Railay West is the best but as noted just a few resorts dominate it - still my favourite though (actually Ao Phra Nang - not to be confused with Ao Nang - is the nicest beach a short walk from West Railay, but has only one super-expensive resort http://www.rayavadee.com ). If you can, stay somewhere like Sand Sea Resort - nice bungalows, pool near the sea, not too cluttered (certainly better than Benidorm!)

Ao Nang is busy with package tourists and motorbikes, more of a "Mediterranean" feel (last count four Italian restaurants along the main drag and many restaurant menus in Swedish and German). It has a decent beach but again kind of cluttered (heavy longtail boat traffic - vroom vroom!). The advantage with Ao Nang is convenience - more day tours, shopping, and choice of cuisine than beachy West Railay. And you have road access so it's quick to the Krabi airport and can rent scooters to explore the coastline.

Hope this helps you decide. Congratulations and happy honeymoon!

#2 Posted: 24/11/2011 - 11:14

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I think Railay is the pick of the area. Note there are a fair few more hotels on East Railay, some of them very nice and with better views than the West Railay ones.
    Sure East Railay beach is dire, but it takes 5 minutes to walk to West Railay. And Phra Nang which is the nicest beach in the area is closer to East Railay - once again only 5 minutes.
    Plus East Railay has a lot more eats options.

#3 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 04:38

• Tomaz

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2014

Oa nang is nice. The small islands are beautiful.
    1 thing I was hit on a needle on the beach. A tattoo needle I think. Have to be look out we're you walk. Tere were also nothing to put my garbage. Tomorrow I ga back to Bangkok!! And back to Finland!!

#4 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 10:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Ko Tao - Chumphon - Krabi - Ao Nang - Railay - Tonsai with Fame Tours ... By danandhan on 20 Jan 2010 2 6924 24 Jan 2011
Ao Nang, Railay Wast, or Railay East?? ... By levi760 on 4 Aug 2009 10 5677 11 Oct 2012
Ao Nang Garden Bungalows, Ao Nang Beach, Krabi ... By aonanggarden on 10 Sep 2009 0 4566 10 Sep 2009
Ao nang of Railay ... By Backpacker01 on 13 Nov 2011 1 1127 16 Nov 2011
Railay Beach or Ao Nang ... By adbeats06 on 1 Nov 2013 3 831 4 Nov 2013
Quick Travel from Railay Beach to Koh Pan Nang ... By Anasuya on 24 Nov 2006 2 4150 25 Nov 2006
Railay/Ton Sai/Krabi changes ... By tezza on 15 Dec 2008 3 3775 18 Dec 2008
Railay Beach/Krabi ... By cameoalexa on 13 Nov 2012 3 2084 19 Nov 2012
Railay or Ko Lanta or Krabi..? ... By boyohboy100 on 17 Nov 2010 0 3191 17 Nov 2010
Krabi/Railay Beach Stay? ... By Summer89 on 10 May 2011 1 3821 10 May 2011