Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Kuala Lampur to Pattani, Thailand

• MinJW

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2011

Hello everyone! I'm planning a trip to south east Asia to visit friends in January. I plan on visiting my friends in Pattani (southern Thailand) before continuing on to Malaysia and Singapore (or in reverse).

Flights seem to be cheapest through airasia however, flying into Phuket is alot more expensive than flying into Kuala Lampur. So I thought I'd start there, travel up into Thailand and then back into Malaysia. Has anyone traveled from Malaysia to Pattani? Can you recommend a route? Is it relatively safe (I've heard that the southern part of Thailand has the occasional uprising). My friends are Malay Thai so while I am asking for their guidance on how to get there their experiences are going to be different from mine (I'm from the US).

Also, does anyone have any must-sees in the Pattani area or surrounding provinces? I'll be in Thailand for a few days before returning to Malaysia for a couple of days and then I plan on continuing onto Singapore (I'm open to suggestions for those countries as well). My interests are more towards cultural heritage sites, temples, markets and seeing how people live as opposed to diving with sharks, holding baby tigers, etc. My trip will coincide with the lunar New Year and I'm not sure if there's one area that would be more interesting in which to celebrate the new year in comparison to others.

At the moment I'm only looking for suggestions for southern Thailand - central and northern Thailand will be a different trip (I live in Korea).

Thank you so much!

#1 Posted: 24/11/2011 - 18:49

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

The best way to get from Malaysia to Pattani is to go via Hat Yai . You can get a train there from KL or take an overnight bus. From the Hat Yai bus station it is very easy to get a bus to Pattani.

#2 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 05:30

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

Alternatively In Malaysia either take the jungle railway to Wakaf Baru (or Tumpat)and then catch locl bus to the border at Kampung Telaga Lanos (30 mins) and at Tak Bai catch the songthaew to narathiwat (ask for the bus station)and get bus up to patani or go up the coast using buses and catch bus from kota Baru to Kampung Telaga Lanos

#3 Posted: 6/12/2011 - 07:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
8 Days Between Kuala Lampur and Penang ... By jc1257 on 12 Feb 2012 2 1259 14 Feb 2012