Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Can you give me some tips on Isaan and the southern Gulf

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

My wife & I spent 4 months in SE Asia in 2009-10. Included in that time were 6 weeks in Thailand. We are to return in late January for the first time since and wish to explore and experience a couple of areas we didn't have time for back then. This time we only have 2 and a half weeks though - back to more standard holiday times.

Our plan is to spend a few nights in the Isaan to get a small flavour of the place. Then to end up in Prachuap Khiri Khan (a favourite we wish to re-visit) and Ko Tao.

For the Isaan we wish to stay 2 or 3 nights in Nong Khai and then about the same in Chiang Khan. It appears there is no public transport between the two. Is renting a car in NK a viable option ? Would a taxi be prohibitively expensive ? Are these 2 places good choices to give us a taste of the Isaan ? Any places you feel we shouldn't miss ? Any recommendations on somewhere to stay in Chiang Khan ? We don't need anywhere flash, but would prefer good, clean accommodation. Hot water would be good, for example, a comfortable bed (sadly we are no longer 21) - attached bathroom a definite bonus, though if somewhere is special we'll do without. (well...perhaps not the bed).

For the Gulf part I think we will fly to Samui and come back via PKK. (Or vice versa). There are a number of daily trains from Bangkok down the Gulf coast. Does anyone know if they all stop at Prachuap ? Or are there regular buses between Bangkok and Prachuap ?

My preference (I think) at present is to fly to Samui and catch the ferry same day to Ko Tao. When we leave Tao go by hydrofoil to Chumpon (gets in at 11.45 it seems) and then catch the train (12.46) northwards - hopefully to get off at Prachuap. I assume this works -can anyone confirm ?

Finally, (for now) do the ferries/hydrofoils always sail at that time of year, or can weather be an issue ?

Thanks for any help you can give.

#1 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 08:50

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Why Chiang Khan? I mean, it's just another Ampur. Why that place, as oppossed to others? You can get a bus from Nong Khai to Chiang Khan, for sure, since it's an Ampur in a neighboring Jangwat. so I am sure you can go to the bus station in Nong khai and get from A to B. But why?

#2 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 11:47

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

Nokka, What did you like so much about Prachuap Khiri Khan I'm considering going...?

#3 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 12:29

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

My understanding is that Chiang Khan is a lovely, old peaceful place with beautiful wooden buildings overlooking the river. But I've never been - so I can't be sure its special. If I manage to get there I'll let you know if I consider it worthwhile. Do you have other recommendations, Mac ? Apparently there is no bus there from Nong Khai, hence the question about carhire etc. Another option may be to take day trip up there from NK - I'm trying to get a flavour of the area currently.

Prachuap we liked as it is a simple, seaside Thai town - nice beach just outside town, good places to stay, relatively few other tourists. Prices way lower than the islands. No good if you like karaoke bars, nightclubs, late night bars.

#4 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 13:15

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

from photos & Thai language blogs & magazine articles i've seen, on weekends & public holidays during the cool season, domestic (Thai) tourists flock to Chiang Khan & are making it look like Luang Prabang...somehow there's huge this interest in morning almsgiving in Chiang Khan too (don't know why they don't have this interest when they travel to other parts of Thailand or Laos).

Tilapia wrote a very good overview of Chiang Khan in #5 here: http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/thailand/16281_mukdahan-hotel-options-and-isaan-itinerary

#5 Posted: 25/11/2011 - 22:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would imagine you could take a bus from Nong Khai to Loei and from there a bus or Song Taew to Chiang Khan. But given your objective of just getting a feel for Issan, it would seem to me that simply head to someplace like Sakrai or Na Kha to give you a feel for a typical Issan Ampur. Those locals won't be as scenic as Chiang Khan, but they will likely be more representative - if that is a desire (maybe not - I'm inferring here). They are also on your way back, so from there it would be easy to get to Udon Thani and from there back down south.

#6 Posted: 26/11/2011 - 05:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Tips on our routeplan Isaan-Laos ... By Jolinde on 22 Jun 2010 4 1882 23 Jun 2010
Give me reasons why I should travel to southern laos ... By wheretonext on 6 Mar 2013 14 6598 29 Mar 2013