Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Best Place to spend Thai New year in april??

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Hey everyone,

I'm travelling to Thailand again in April and would like to hear some ideas to spend Thai New Years. I won't be able to get up north as I hear Chaing Mai is one of the best spots but am going to be either Bangkok area or southern islands.

I am wanting to be close to water as I've read April is the hottest month of the year so I guess my options are:

Koh Chang, Koh Samet, Koh Lanta, Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. If you had a choice which would you go to for Thai New Years???

Cheers for the input it's much appreciated!!

Jonny Mac

#1 Posted: 30/11/2011 - 12:41

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

The problem with Ko Samet and Ko Chang during Songkran is it gets really busy with Thai tourists coming out from Bangkok so rooms/bungalows are full and prices get hiked way up (I've slept rough on the sand with the beach dogs a couple times on Samet when nothing was available during peak times). Down south in predominantly-Muslim Ko Lanta Songkran isn't observed very much although it's still one of my favorite multi-option islands. From your list I'd probably go for Ko Phangan which gets kind of crazy for Songkran although the celebrations go on for just a couple days compared with Chiang Mai where the madness carries on for a solid week. Ko Tao would be a close-2nd. The best weather at that time is usually down the lower eastern gulf side so again Ko Phangan/Tao works well. Samui is more built-up and less budget-friendly but could be nice if you like a busy resort vibe.

#2 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 13:46

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Thanks for your reply Captain Bob much appreciated.

I've stayed in Ko Phangan before at Haad Tian resort, north west on the island. Is there any spot you would recommend going on Ko Phangan specifically for Songkran...hopefully not Haad Rin, not a fan really. I'm a budget backpacker just looking for a good atmosphere, reasonable accomadation and doesn't need to be a full on party.

Let me know if you have any recommendations....

Cheers,

Jonny Mac

#3 Posted: 1/12/2011 - 16:41

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

During Songkran most people head to Thong Sala for the day.

#4 Posted: 2/12/2011 - 05:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place to spend christmas and new year malaysia ... By jeromedoyle on 16 Jan 2011 2 6103 18 Jan 2011
Where to spend New Year's Eve in Cambodia? ... By magicpixiejo on 12 Nov 2009 1 5285 13 Nov 2009
Where to spend new year on West Coast of Thailand ... By alau81 on 12 Oct 2009 4 2314 13 Oct 2009
2 Weeks in Cambodia - How long to spend in each place? ... By scahn on 10 Jun 2010 12 11841 16 Sep 2010
Looking for a place to spend New Years other than Full Moon Party ... By mightycabage on 14 Oct 2011 5 1581 15 Oct 2011