Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Wearing Dresses in Thailand

• rpblica54

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2011

Are dresses considered immodest in Thailand? I generally prefer wearing them to pants, and they are always knee-length or longer with a tank top underneath so as not to show too much cleavage. Are these permissible in the temples, or do your calves need to be completely covered?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 8/12/2011 - 09:52

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

For temples, knee length or longer and a shirt...

Otherwise, wear whatever you want. No one here cares and Thai women are hardly modest in their dress. Not the young ones anyway.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2011 - 10:45

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I've got a female Australian friend who has travelled with me several times in Thailand. She always wears dresses as well and doesn't draw any undue attention as a result. As MADMAC says, knee-length or longer in the temples but otherwise won't matter much. Ta.

#3 Posted: 8/12/2011 - 11:04

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I second on the dresses :)

#4 Posted: 8/12/2011 - 12:53

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

This depends on where you are going. Dresses below the knee are perfectly acceptable but if you are going to non-tourist destinations you will want to have your shoulders covered as well.

#5 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 20:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Guava
    Maybe down south, but that is definitely NOT TRUE in Issan. I live in a non-tourist area and off the lots of young women wear clothing that exposes cleavage and bare shoulders. There is virtually no difference in dress codes here in Issan with western Europe or the US except concerning swimwear.

#6 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 20:41

• morse96

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

wouldnt worry about it too much . i went away with 2 girls who wore dresses all the time and there wasnt even a bad look from anyone.

#7 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 13:16

• morse96

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2011

wouldnt worry about it too much . i went away with 2 girls who wore dresses all the time and there wasnt even a bad look from anyone.

#8 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 13:16

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

From my experience you can get away with alot in Thailand. The only thing you have to worry about is when you enter temples or places that expect a respectable dress code such as immigrations etc. Also, one of my pet peeves are men that prance around cities with no top on. I guess, the general rule is to follow the locals.

#9 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 06:42

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

In villages men prance around all the time without any shirts on... but I don't see it much in the cities either. My general rule is dress cool so that my wife likes the way I look. I think that's a good rule to follow. Of course, my wife is a "local".

#10 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Sometimes you'll see signs saying - "no shirt, no service", but even in beach towns, some girls are walking around shopping in their bikinis... I think that's a bit much. A sarong please - lol.

#11 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 10:38

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

You'll also see caucasian women topless on the beach and occasionally around swimming pools. This is highly disrespectful to the Thais.

Dresses are fine anywhere.

#12 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 13:53

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I think they are pretty used to it in Haad Rin & Phuket - :)

I find that less offensive then parading around on the streets shirtless and barefoot!

#13 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 14:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You'll also see caucasian women topless on the beach and occasionally around swimming pools. This is highly disrespectful to the Thais."

Yeah, the Thai men hate it when women do that! I hear them complaining about it all the time. They find it so disrespectful!

Johnny, unless they are Muslim or gay, the rest of us like checking out a decent rack if the woman in question wants to display it. This is a pretty international thing. But just to be sure, I asked a friend of mine (a Thai guy) if that would be offensive here. His response "Not to me". It might get you some unwanted police attention in certain parts, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find a red blooded Thai guy who was offended. My wife says Thai guys love it when western women prance around in skimpy outfits. They think it's great!

#14 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 21:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Oh, they also think it's great when Thai women do it... But try finding a Thai woman to sunbathe topless around here - mission impossible.

#15 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 01:32

• JohnnieWalk-
    er

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2011

Oh, they also think it's great when Thai women do it... But try finding a Thai woman to sunbathe topless around here - mission impossible.

I'm so glad you added that bit MM. Says it all really.

#16 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 04:16

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

#17 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 13:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You got to love the woman going into the Wat in a bikini. I mean seriously, WTF? What was she thinking? Well, obviously she wasn't thinking; maybe thinking isn't her strong suit.

Johnnie
    As for topless sunbathing, except for the deep south I doubt you'll find many people here who really care if you are in Phuket or Pattaya or the like. My sister in law says it's legal (or tolerated) though. But outside of those areas you might get unwanted attention from the police.
    But I wouldn't put it in the category of wearing your shoes into a temple or pointing at something with your foot. Those things would be very disrespectful. Out of curiousity I asked several people on my street and they all told me at tourist places for the most part Thais consider it OK. My sister in law, who was working at a hotel in Phuket until recently, told me she occassionally saw Thai women doing it when they were in the company of Farang's, but otherwise not.

#18 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 20:59

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

But please - no old women in brief clothing! I am one, so I know what I'm talking about!

#19 Posted: 29/12/2011 - 00:12

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

My girlfriend got hissed at by the local women for wearing a BACKLESS dress in Cambodia.Sometimes I despair of this place it can have attitudes to women which are positively medieval.Then what would you expect of women whose dress sense is to wear orange pyjama tops with teddy bears on them and red and black striped pants.This is typical here.If anybody out there is in the fashion industry please come and save Cambodia.

#20 Posted: 30/12/2011 - 06:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

And stop donating your old bell bottom pants to Goodwill.

"Hissed at" huh? Must be some sort of peculiar Cambodian thing.

Saphir
    In my wifes village, a lot of the old women go topless sitting on their "porches", chewing beetlenut. It figures that the young, hot women don't do that.

#21 Posted: 31/12/2011 - 00:09

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

Well, it's currently 36 degrees here in Brisbane today..........this evening I might just take my top off and sit on my front steps. I'm all out of betel nut, though.

#22 Posted: 10/1/2012 - 23:25

• rpblica54

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2011

Hello, all!

I'm arriving in Bangkok in June, and will spend about a week making my way up to Chiang Mai, where I plan to spend around 3 weeks. Extensive internet searches have led me to seemingly great reviews at the Junior Guest House, but I'm hoping someone here may have some personal experience with the place that they would be willing to share...I'm a bit wary of internet reviews by now. My hope is to book somewhere for the first week and then move on or extend my stay as necessary.

Thanks so much for any replies!

#23 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 11:11

• rpblica54

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2011

Hello, all!

I'm arriving in Bangkok in June, and will spend about a week making my way up to Chiang Mai, where I plan to spend around 3 weeks. Extensive internet searches have led me to seemingly great reviews at the Junior Guest House, but I'm hoping someone here may have some personal experience with the place that they would be willing to share...I'm a bit wary of internet reviews by now. My hope is to book somewhere for the first week and then move on or extend my stay as necessary.

#24 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 11:11

• rpblica54

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2011

Hello, all!

#25 Posted: 27/3/2012 - 11:12

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Wearing Red in Thailand - Cambodia - Vietnam ... By SoloGirls on 15 Feb 2014 23 1368 17 Feb 2014