Thailand forum

government buses

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I want to take a government' bus from the southern bus station -Sai Tai Mai (to go to Ranong) but get my ticket at the Ekkamai station as it is closer to where I'm staying on Sukhumvit. I'm having trouble finding out prices & times as the govt. website is only in Thai. I know there's a private VIP 24 seater option at 633 baht, but was wondering about a cheaper govt. option...

To get to to southern Bus station I apparently can take the #155 local bus there directly...I've posted this elsewhere but some of the info is conflicting.

#1 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 09:39

• Advertisement

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I found this: http://www.hornbill-hut.com/wizContent.asp?wizConID=81&txtmMenu_ID=47 a 1st class bus for 428 baht?

#2 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 10:27

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

I'm having trouble finding out prices & times as the govt. website is only in Thai. I know there's a private VIP 24 seater option at 633 baht, but was wondering about a cheaper govt. option

had already given you the link to the govt bus timetable at reply #19 here: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=2137279
    the 24-seater 633 baht bus you mentioned is the best class of govt VIP bus. if you scroll down there's the cheaper option - 40-seater bus dept 20:30 441 baht (this type of bus is AC, seats recline 125 degrees, bus shown in the 4th photo from top here).

don't know about the company mentioned in the link in #2. private bus companies = buyer beware. unless you're talking about the rare few companies like Nakhonchai Air that have buses even nicer than the VIP govt buses & care about safety standards.

#3 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 11:46

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Ok, so with the govt. bus in question "40-seater bus dept 20:30 441 baht" _ I should be able to get my ticket at Ekkamai station the day before or in the morning right? without having to go to Sai Tai until departure, that's where I'm confused and am not really getting a clear answer.

If the VIP - 633 baht bus is also govt., as opposed to private shouldn't I be able to get the ticket at Ekkamai also?

thx

#4 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 12:33

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Transport Co. (aka. 'govt bus company') runs both of these buses from Sai Tai:
    1. BKK > Ranong , VIP, 24 seats, 633 baht, dept 20:00
    2. BKK > Ranong > Kapoe, 1st class, 40 seats, 407 baht (if alight in Ranong), dept 20:30

for the second one, the 441 baht fare is for travelling all the way to the final destination of Kapoe - you pay a bit less for getting off earlier in Ranong.

Transport Co. has an office at Ekkamai too cos it also operates buses departing from Ekkamai. So you can buy tickets for Sai Tai departures there. You can also check bus timings & seat availability online here: http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/bus/bus-tickets-route_eng.php
    & buy tickets through Thai Ticket Major either at an outlet near you in BKK, or reserve by phone & pay within 5 hours at a 7-Eleven convenience store (chances are there will be one closer than Ekkamai is to where you stay): http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/bus/buy-bus-tickets_eng.php

#5 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 15:58

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Ok, now this is starting to make sense, I imagine I don't have to provide a whole bunch of info (i.e. resident card) at the thaiticketmajor outlet, like I do on their website - just a passport?

Thanks a lot, this has been very helpful

#6 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 17:03

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Places visited:
    At least 67

no need for resident card. in fact i've never had to show any ID when buying bus tickets 'offline' in Thailand. just tell them the destination, select departure date & time, select seat (they should show you the seating plan on their computer screen) & pay for computer-printed ticket.

#7 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 20:57

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

excellent, thanks again

#8 Posted: 9/12/2011 - 21:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.