Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Beach Festival and Songkran 2012 - Chiang Mai

• katerpillar

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2011

This question has 2 parts, so please read patiently:

I am hoping to spend Songkran in Chiang Mai this coming spring and I read somewhere that there was a beach festival that happens the weekend before nearby at Lake Huay Tung Tao. Is this an every-year type of event and if so, is it always the weekend right before Songkran (as in April 7-8 this year)? Has anyone been to this before and able to give a report of what it's like and say whether it's worth checking out?

Part 2 of my questions involves transportation out of Chiang Mai during Songkran. I've heard that the festival basically shuts down the city during this time, but is it possible to leave on a night train to Bangkok? I want to be there for the start of the festival, but I'm hoping to leave after a day or two. Can I get out, say around the 15th on a night train without too many major delays?

Thanks for help with either part of this!

#1 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 14:09

• Advertisement

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Songkran in Chang Mai lasts for a week and it gets quite busy, but yes you can still travel. However, this is one of the busiest holidays in Thailand and even the Thais are trying to get from place to place to see family so if you want a train on the 15th you better book it in advance.

I was recently informed that you can now book train tickets online here http://www.thairailticket.com/esrt/Default.aspx?language=1

If you do this please let me know how it goes, as I am yet to book tickets this way myself.

#2 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 19:37

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Getting a train from Chiang Mai to Bangkok on April 15 (the last "official" day of Songkran) is next to impossible unless you book well in advance. Thousands of Bangkokonians come up to CM for the festival then return home at the end so transport is usually crammed-full.

Those festival/events out at Huay Tung Tao vary every year so don't count on a specific happening too far in advance. Sponsorship, promotion, and permits (it's Army land) can materialise or fall through without notice. One guarantee is that Huay Tung Tao will be heaving with Thai families and groups of kids and students during Songkran. I've gone out there several times during the 8 years I've lived in CM and you don't get very far without another soaking bucket over the head and the lake and surrounding hut-style restaurants are usually packed. In other words it's a load of fun.

#3 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 00:13

• inspiredbyk-
    rissi

Joined Travelfish
    9th December, 2011

Book! Book! Book! Its such a busy time going to and form Chiang Mai. Try your best to book trains as early as possible. Buses are much more likely as there are so many.

#4 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 06:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Phuket Electronic Music and Dance Festival 2012 / Karon Beach Countdown 2013 ... By yippie65 on 21 Dec 2012 0 2359 21 Dec 2012
Songkran Festival 2013 ... By wheretonext on 25 Nov 2012 6 3603 9 Jan 2013
Chiang Mai for songkran ... By jackymoon on 5 Apr 2011 4 1663 5 Apr 2011
Getting to Chiang Mai Songkran ... By GhostOfTomJoad on 10 Mar 2013 2 1527 12 Mar 2013
Chiang Mai and around for Songkran next weekend! ... By whiskieman on 6 Apr 2012 4 1282 8 Apr 2012