Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

MADMAC - Please answer this

• PeterJW

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2011

“Different countrieshave different rules and different laws regarding motorcycles. In Thailand, a carlicense for an international drivers license is good for a motorbike 125cc orless. So you are driving legally here if you have an international license unlessyou ride a bigger bike. In Germanyyou do not need a full motorcycle license to ride a scooter. Those havesimplier licensing requirements there (although I am not sure what they are).Bottom line - you should check your policy before you leave and make sure itcovers motorcycles.”

MADMAC is there a Thai government website you can point meto that shows this information? If youare right (and I don’t doubt / really hope you are) then I’ll be able to get abike without worrying about bankrupting my dad if I have an accident. Seems to me I’ll have to leave it for Laos and Cambodiabut I’ll be trying to take a bike test in Vietnam (I know this could take afew weeks, but I’m not limited by time). Any info will be gladly received.

I have a full UK driving licence Cat B, B1 and I'll get it convertedto an international driving licence before I go. I have no bike entitlement in the UK

Regards

Peter

#1 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 08:01

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Peter I got it from two sources, one was the immigration office in Mukdahan and the other was what we call the department of motor vehicles in the states in Mukdahan who converted my existing license and issued me my Thai licenses. Let me do a little checking around and get back to you.

#2 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 11:21

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Thanks very much for this. I suspect there are many others who want know as well. Much appreciated

Peter

#3 Posted: 12/12/2011 - 19:27

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

The problem, Peter, is that Thai law is not your problem on this issue. This isn't really a society of law. You'll get by with whatever license vis-a-vis the Thai authorities. The problem is your insurer. If they won't insure you for riding unless you have a license in your home country, then Thai law doesn't mean a thing.

#4 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 01:05

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

HiMadmac

I calledtravelguard last week and they said as long as I’m not riding illegally inanother country they will cover me in the event of a motorbike crash formedical fees. I’m going to get myInternational Driving Licence application sent off today. If that’s all I need in Thailand then I’llbe OK. It seems that even with a full UKbike licence you still may not be covered by your insurance if you don’t havethe appropriate licence for the that country e.g.Vietnam. That’s why I want to find a thai gov/immigrationwebsite that I can point my insurance to if the worst case scenariohappens. This is the policy wordingbelow.

“Any claim arising as a result of your use of a two-wheeled motor vehicle unless:
    a) as a passenger you wear acrash helmet and it is reasonable for you tobelieve that the driver holds a
    licence to drive the two-wheeled motor vehicle underthe laws of the country in which the accident occurs
    (if such a licence is required under the laws of thecountry in which the accident occurs); or
    b) as a driver you wear acrash helmet and you hold a licence which permits you to drivethe two-wheeled
    motor vehicle under the laws of the country in whichthe accident occurs (if such a licence is required
    under the laws of the country in which the accidentoccurs).”

I can imagine most people crash abroad without the InternationDriving Licence so therefore not insured. My mate went about 5 years ago and said most of the problems were pissed18 – 25 year olds, shirtless and then hitting palm leaves or a patch of sand onthe way home for the night. I can’timagine drink un-licenced driving is legal anywhere!

Thanks for all your help

Peter

#5 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 04:17

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Peter - well done on finding the Travelguard policy. This may be a better option for anyone considering renting a motorbike. The policy details appear much fairer on first reading - though it still isn't fully clear to me whether you are fully covered.. I'll be interested in what you can find out, Mac.

Still no Public Liability cover, though, it seems.

On the drinking and driving front - you are never insured if that's the case - in a car or on a bike.

It is surprising the numbers of people who ride fast on bikes in Thailand - clearly inexperienced, no shirt even or helmet, potholed and gravelly roads. I rode a bike when younger, before the new UK licence rules, so have some idea on a bike. But I'm almost constantly overtaken by young kids - who probably haven't ever ridden a bike before. Quite a few seem to come a cropper.

#6 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 06:20

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

I've done some more digging around on this point about whether Thais need a licence to ride a motorbike in Thailand. It appears that, although it is widely flouted, they do actually need one legally. This means that the Travelguard policy will not pay out anything if you have an accident on a bike and have no bike licence.

Back to square one, I'm afraid.

Almost certainly, unless you have a full and proper bike licence in your home country you will NOT be insured via any travel insurance policy if you have an accident on a hired bike. Do not think the insurer will pay out for any medical costs, air ambulances or anything at all - because they won't. You will have to pay all or any of these costs yourself.

This is the case for UK citizens, anyway. Other countries travel policies may differ - though I'd be surprised if travel insurers anywhere allow inexperienced riders to ride around on a potentially poorly maintained bike on badly potholed or gravel roads.

Up to you if you take the risk - but be aware of the consequences.

#7 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 04:11

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Nice one Nokka. I feel inclined to agree with you unless MADMAC can show something else. I was going to get a bike licence here but it costs about £750 cheapest and thats if you pass first time! If not you'll be spending over £1000! I'll have a look at taking a test in Thailand if at all possible. I'm going to try the same for Vietnam (the whole process takes about 21 days apparently). I'll let you know if I find out this is possible. If I get a Vietnamese bike licecne would that be transferable? If thats the case I'll fly to Hanoi first :)

#8 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 05:10

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=Ai.Hnnj4Z1OfagAKYjFcaFebvZx4?p=Tourist+license+requirements+in+Thailand&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-701

Peter, that link is worth checking out.

Bottom line is that I think you need to make sure your insurer is willing to cover you if you come here with an international license (which they should) before you leave.

#9 Posted: 19/12/2011 - 08:07

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

thanks fo this MADMAC. It looks like sitting a bike test will be the best way to go. I'm heading to Koh Lanta first from Kuala Lumpur so will get it done in Phuket or Krabi if possible. Apparently the whole thing takes a day inc medicals etc. If I get there and they tell me I don't don't need to do it then sweet.

#10 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 07:03

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Just remember, it's not what the Thai's say, it's what your insurance company says that counts.

#11 Posted: 20/12/2011 - 07:51

• PeterW

Joined Travelfish
    29th August, 2011

Thanks for the link MADMAC. I'm going to try and take a test over there. It looks like the whole thing (medical certificates, training and a test) takes a day and can be done all over the place. I'll either do it in Krabi or Phuket. I've heard from mates that paper work will be a nightmare but I'll give it a go. I'm confident enough that if I get a licence I'm sorted insurance wise. Would a Thai bike licence be transferable to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam though?

#12 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 19:00

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yes, a Thai license is recognized in the ASEAN countries I'm almost positive. I am positive it's recognized in Laos.

#13 Posted: 21/12/2011 - 20:31

• Nokka

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

For most UK insurers a Thai licence doesn't appear sufficient - you need a UK bike licence. The Travelguard policy does seem to allow it under their policy wording - but may be best to check further with them before relying fully on it.

Nice lateral thinking though, Peter - let us know how you get on with the test.

#14 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 03:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.