Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Easiest way to get from BKK to Koh Phangan?

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Hey everybody,

I am landing in BKK at 9:30pm and want to get out of there right away. I am wanting to go south to Koh Phangan for Thai New years. Do I have to stay in BKK that night and get a bus or train in the morning? Will there be an over night train or bus that leaves that late in the evening? Probably won't get through customs and luggage until close to 11:00pm. Please let me know what my best option is.

Thanks for the help as usual!!

Jonny Mac

#1 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 13:40

• Advertisement

• jarmeyer

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2011
    Location United States

From other travelers I've heard Nokair can be the most reasonably priced. It has two daily departures from BKK to Koh Phangan 06:00 and 11:30. I believe you fly to Koh Samui and then take a high speed catamaran to koh phangnan

#2 Posted: 13/12/2011 - 21:33

• guava_girl

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2010

Nok Air will take you to Surat Thani and from there you get the Lomprayah, which is included in the cost. The times jarmeyer stated are correct.

There will be nothing available at the time you arrive so you will have to spend a night in BKK. If you stay close to the airport you can take the first flight to Surat Thani with Nok Air or Air Asia or even a flight with Bangkok Airways to Samui, which is the more expensive but faster option.

#3 Posted: 15/12/2011 - 20:29

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Thanks for the replies everybody.....I have booked a cheap hotel only 3 km's from the airport with to and from airport shuttle....I am trying to book with nokair but they are only allowing bookings until march 24 so I guess I got to wait a couple more weeks to book. Going to fly to koh samui then take the ferry to koh phangan seems like my best option for a decent price. Any reccomendations for accom in Phangan would be great....I want to stay somewhere where I can enjoy the festivities of Songkran on a backpacker budget.

#4 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 10:48

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Thanks for the replies everybody.....I have booked a cheap hotel only 3 km's from the airport with to and from airport shuttle....I am trying to book with nokair but they are only allowing bookings until march 24 so I guess I got to wait a couple more weeks to book. Going to fly to koh samui then take the ferry to koh phangan seems like my best option for a decent price. Any reccomendations for accom in Phangan would be great....I want to stay somewhere where I can enjoy the festivities of Songkran on a backpacker budget.

#5 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 10:50

• jolietang

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2011

thats exactly what i wanna know cos im also going to koh phangnan from BKK. late flight also. all i know by now is catch the overnight train to chumphon, then ferry to phangnan which only costs like 878Baht-1639Baht for the combination ticket. (depends on which class you want for the train)

#6 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 00:50

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Hey Jolie,

Have you checked out NOKAIR.com.....I found very good rates for combination ticket for flight and ferry from BKK to Koh samui then on to Koh Phangan...it's only like 1900 baht which is only couple hundred more than the bus or train and saves heaps of time. Just thought I would put that idea out there.

#7 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 10:43

• jonnymac

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2011

Hey Jolie,

Have you checked out NOKAIR.com.....I found very good rates for combination ticket for flight and ferry from BKK to Koh samui then on to Koh Phangan...it's only like 1900 baht which is only couple hundred more than the bus or train and saves heaps of time. Just thought I would put that idea out there.

#8 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 10:45

• jolietang

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2011

I will try to take a look tmr but I'm still not sure what day i will arrive cos if I arrive on 21 then I will have to stay in hmm for a night, otherwise if on 22nd, it will be a late flight and I'm not sure if theyre flying late since I'm going the catch the black moon party on 23, so I'm gonna head to koh phangan first before koh samui, but still thanks alot. I'll have a look tmr and see what I can do

#9 Posted: 22/12/2011 - 10:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.