Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Koh Tai vs Koh Chang

• rfasian

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello everyone! I'm currently in Vietnam and am preparing to depart to Thailand tomorrow. I'm on my honeymoon with my new wife and we had planned on going to Koh Chang. We've only got a week in Thailand and had planned on spending the majority of it beachside and diving. We spoke with a fellow traveler today who spent about 8 months living and working in Thailand and said she was not very impressed with the water/beach conditions in Koh Chang (she was there in January of last year.) She recommended we head to Koh Tai instead.

Has anyone out there spent time at both places, and if so, what are your thoughts? Do you have a strong preference for one over the other? Nightlife is not that important to us, and our top priority is finding a nice beach with quality diving options nearby. We would be looking for mid-range, reasonably nice accomodations beachside, given that we're on our honeymoon. From everything we'd read here, Koh Chang sounded like a great spot to do some diving and snorkeling, but this recommendation has cast some doubt on our plans. Any input would be much appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance! We'll try to post some thoughts on our travels in Vietnam when we get a chance.

#1 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 05:51

• Advertisement

• tomtraveler

Joined Travelfish
    8th December, 2011

koh tao is great is the only thing i can tell you ...... best for divinig and best for beaching and very safe.... good luck...

any recommendations for viet nam for us as we will be there the month of march... interest include nice place to stay... smaller more intimate but not so secluded as we enjoy outside resturants etc for meetin other travelers

#2 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 10:38

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I wasn't impressed with the beaches on Koh Tao, at hide tide the water was spitting distance from the bungalows...

#3 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 14:09

• rfasian

Joined Travelfish
    1st December, 2011

Thanks for the input, we ended up at Koh Chang and so far have been very pleased. We're staying at Lin's Bungalows up the street from the Tropicana, the beach is beautiful, and situated well for activities.

Tom, I typed up a ginormous response for yo yesterday morning, but unfortunately must've taken too long and the system logged me out while I was writing it, so I lost it when I tried to post. Here are some bulletpoints I would make note of:

-You didn't say how long you are staying, but if it's less than two weeks I'd pick just one half of the country and stick with that rather than trying to see it all - transportation in Vietnam can be pretty slow, so you'll end up spending too much time traveling.
    -If you do plan to do the whole Hanoi -Saigon route, it's probably worth it to fly the longer legs (Hanoi to Dangang, Saigon to Danang or Nha Trang if you plan to stop there.) We took the train twice and they were late both times, in one case by over 4 hours.
    -If you're going to shop, plan on doing it away from the hubs of Hanoi and Saigon, prices are materially higher there.

Our favorite stops were Qui Nhon and Hoi An . Qui Nhon is definitely not as heavily populated with tourists, and Hoi An has a smaller town feel (manufactured though it may be) and makes for an excellent break from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities.

Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

#4 Posted: 18/12/2011 - 04:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.